Monument record MDR3996 - Barbrook I: Embanked Stone Circle
Type and Period (1)
- EMBANKED STONE CIRCLE (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
[SK 2785 7558] Stone Circle [O.E.] (1) An embanked stone circle - 'Barbrook No. 1' - with one large standing stone (3ft high) and 12 smaller stones (10 in. to 2 ins. high) on the inner edge of a rubble bank 10 ft. wide with internal diameter 44 ft. approx. (2) Scheduled. (3) See. G.P. AO/65/212/4 Resurveyed at 1/2500 (4) The site comprises a 14.5m x 12.5m ring of 12 orthostats set into the inner edge of a bank. All 12 stones are still standing, although one gap suggests there were originally 13. A few other low uprights on the inner edge indicate an inner kerb. Most of the orthostats are 0.3-0.5m high. One upright to the SW is 1.04m high. Two excavations are documented, one by by Storrs-Fox and Peat, a local gamekeeper, around the turn of th century, and the second again by Peat in 1911-12 on the orders of the Duke of Rutland. There are 3 burnt flints flakes in Buxton Museum (Storrs Fox Collection) noted as coming from the 'Barbrook stone circle, near Ramsley Lodge' - presumably they are from the first excavation. Both trenches were re-excavated in 1987 to obtain environmental and dating evidence. (9). Photographic record. (11, 12)
- <1> SDR11764 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1955. 6".
- <2> SDR15396 Article in serial: Riley, D N. 1960. 'Circles and barrows on Ramsley Moor', Transactions of the Hunter Archaeological Society. Volume 8 (No. 2), pp67-70.
- <3> SDR699 Scheduling record:
- <4> SDR6373 Bibliographic reference: F1 JB 17-NOV-65.
- <5> SDR2453 Monograph: Thom, Thom and Burl. 1980. Megalithic Rings. BAR 81. p20-1.
- <6> SDR17443 Index: NDAT. NDAT 1246. 1246.
- <7> SDR8643 Bibliographic reference: Marsden, B. 1977. The Burial Mounds of Derbyshire. p106.
- <8> SDR15953 Bibliographic reference: Haverfield, F. 1905. Victoria County History. Volume 1. p.183.
- <9> SDR17013 Monograph: Barnatt, J. 1990. The Henges, Stone Circles and Ringcairns of the Peak District. pp 57-59, Fig. 26.
- <10> SDR16424 Article in serial: Barnatt, J. 1986. 'Bronze Age remains on the East Moors of the Peak District', Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Volume 106, pp 18-100. p41, fig.13, p47.
- <11> SDR18970 Photograph: Peak District National Park Authority (PDNPA). Black and white photograph collection. 29.12.
- <12> SDR18000 Photograph: PPJPB. 1984. Photo:PPJPB:SMR:1984: 8001-20 (slides)/407.2-5, 407.12-16, 46.35-6, 442.1-3 (B & W)/29.12A(B &W). Slides and B & W.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 2785 7558 (10m by 10m) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||HOLMESFIELD, NORTH EAST DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jan 5 2015 9:19AM