Monument record MDR3998 - Ring Cairn on Ramsley Moor, 850m NE of Ramsley Lodge
Type and Period (1)
- RING CAIRN (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
[SK 2896 7561] Circle of Stones. (1) SK 289 756. Ring-bank on Ramsley Moor consisting of a rough rubble bank 10-12 ft. wide with internal diameter approximately 44 ft. (2) Plan Scale 1:250 (3) The remains of a beast fold of unknown period, the walling, which is scattered, now attains a max. height of 0.4 m. The remains are partly moss covered suggesting a fairly early construction. For 1:2500 survey see SK 27 NE 21 (4) Re-interpreted and scheduled as a Ring Cairn (5) Stone Circle or Ring Cairn, externally measuring 23.5m by 21.5m and internally measuring 19m by 16m. The cairn cmprises an uneven rubble bank with a poorly defined edge. It is under thick vegetation but is definately not a robbed cairn. (6) Circle diameter = 77 feet. (14)
- <1> SDR11744 Map: 1958.
- <2> SDR15396 Article in serial: Riley, D N. 1960. 'Circles and barrows on Ramsley Moor', Transactions of the Hunter Archaeological Society. Volume 8 (No. 2), pp67-70.
- <3> SDR757 Bibliographic reference:
- <4> SDR6207 Bibliographic reference:
- <5> SDR16418 Scheduling record: English Heritage. 1999. Ring cairn and cairn on Ramsley Moor. 31263.
- <6> SDR16523 Unpublished document: Barnatt, J (PDNPA). Descriptive text on monuments in the Peak District.
- <7> SDR18016 Index: NDAT. NDAT 1250. 1250.
- <8> SDR16548 Bibliographic reference: Cox, J. 1905. 'Ancient Earthworks', The Victoria County History, Derbyshire, Volume 1. p 384.
- <9> SDR18017 Bibliographic reference: Ward. 1941-2. Clarion Ramblers Handbook.
- <10> SDR18018 Index: NDAT. NDAT 1247. 1247.
- <11> SDR8643 Bibliographic reference: Marsden, B. 1977. The Burial Mounds of Derbyshire. p107.
- <12> SDR18019 Article in serial: Yorkshire Archaeological Journal 41:175. 41. p49, fig 17.
- <13> SDR18020 Photograph: PPJPB. Photo:PPJPB:SMR:8084.1-2(Slides). Slides.
- <14> SDR10811 Index: North Derbyshire Archaeological Committee (NDAC). North Derbyshire Archaeological Committee Index. 1250:B285.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 2895 7561 (25m by 23m) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||HOLMESFIELD, NORTH EAST DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Oct 16 2013 2:42PM