Monument record MDR4004 - Cairn on Ramsley Moor, 850m NE of Ramsley Lodge
Type and Period (1)
- CAIRN (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
[SK 2894 7564] Mound, 2 ft. high, of earth and stones. (1) SK 2894475648 Mound T.I. (2) A cairn of irregular form, some of the top stones have been recently moved but the core is undisturbed. Maximum height 1.2m. Published survey 1/2500 revised. (3) Scheduled (4) Length 4.5m, breadth 2.5m. Small cairn connected by a lynchet to the ringcairn SMR 8084 to the south. Butcher's plan of the cairns to the east and the south with associated walls couldn't be verified. The HAS index data is based on Butcher's plan of a single cairn notified Perrott. (7). This is possibly the cairn noted by the OS at SK 28947564 (1)
- <1> SDR13279 Article in serial: Marsden, R. 1957. R.B. Marsden, L.S. Reviser, Dec. 1957..
- <1a> SDR9154 Index: 1977. Mr. Butcher, Hunter A.S. 1.1977. 1.1977.
- <2> SDR11729 Map: OS. 1957. O.S. 25" (N.S.L.) 1957.
- <3> SDR6219 Personal Observation: F1 FDC 09-MAR-66.
- <4> SDR16418 Scheduling record: English Heritage. 1999. Ring cairn and cairn on Ramsley Moor. 31263. Cat. No.: 454.
- <5> SDR16426 Index: NDAT 1256.
- <6> SDR8643 Bibliographic reference: Marsden, B. 1977. The Burial Mounds of Derbyshire. p62.
- <7> SDR16523 Unpublished document: Barnatt, J (PDNPA). Descriptive text on monuments in the Peak District.
- <8> SDR16424 Article in serial: Barnatt, J. 1986. 'Bronze Age remains on the East Moors of the Peak District', Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Volume 106, pp 18-100. p49, fig 17.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 2894 7564 (5m by 7m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||HOLMESFIELD, NORTH EAST DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Oct 16 2013 2:41PM