Monument record MDR4007 - Alleged stone circle, Lawrence Field, Grindleford
Type and Period (1)
- STONE CIRCLE (Former Type) (Undated)
- None recorded
Adjoining the north side of the settlement on Lawrence Field are the remains of a small stone circle. (1) There is a small circle of 7 stones max. height 0.3m at SK 25247972. Surveyed at 1/2500 (2) This stone circle is marked on the Ordnance Survey map of 1979. (3) S T Hall in 1853 noted 'There is even a druidical circle just on the outside of the wood at a distance of a few hundred yards to the north or north east of which no historian has taken cognisance though it is well known to the Duke of Rutland's gamekeepers by one of whom it was first pointed out to me.' There appear to be four different grid references for this site, two from the Hunter Archaeological Society, one from the Ordnance Survey and one from B Marsden. It is suggested that the feature is either a fortuitous arrangmement of natural stone at the quoted grid reference or that the site has been destroyed. (6)
- <1> SDR15353 Article in serial: Cole, W M. 1930-1937. 'The Longshaw earthworks', Transactions of the Hunter Archaeological Society. Vol. 4, pp 362-363.
- <2> SDR6371 Bibliographic reference: F1 JB 16-NOV-65.
- <3> SDR11987 Map: 1979. OS 1:25000.
- <4> SDR18119 Index: NDAT. NDAT 1198. 1198.
- <5> SDR18120 Index: NDAT. NDAT 1199. 1199.
- <6> SDR16523 Unpublished document: Barnatt, J (PDNPA). Descriptive text on monuments in the Peak District.
- <7> SDR8643 Bibliographic reference: Marsden, B. 1977. The Burial Mounds of Derbyshire.
- <8> SDR16424 Article in serial: Barnatt, J. 1986. 'Bronze Age remains on the East Moors of the Peak District', Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Volume 106, pp 18-100.
- <9> SDR18121 Bibliographic reference: Hall, S. T.. 1853. The Peak and the Plain.
- <10> SDR19161 Unpublished document: Peak District National Park Authority (PDNPA). Parish file. Sketch plan: Butcher.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 2524 7972 (10m by 10m) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||HATHERSAGE, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jul 30 2013 3:49PM