Monument record MDR4011 - Stone Clearance Heaps, Ringcairn?
Type and Period (2)
- CLEARANCE CAIRN (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
- RING CAIRN (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
- None recorded
[SK 286 782] (2) SK 291 784. Group of at least 12 small cairns, east of upper end of Salter Sitch, north-west of Owler Bar. [Presumably the site referred to by Mr Marsden]. (1-2) A group of 9 small cairns varying in size from c 4.0m - 2.0m across and c 0.3m - 0.6m high, centred to SK 2886 7827. Surveyed at 1/2500. No trace of cairns seen at the other indicated areas. (3) The mounds which have been surveyed are almost amorphous, stone heaps, showing none of the characteristics of burial mounds and indicating only a small pocket of stone clearance. There is no other surface evidence of occupation. (4) Additional reference. (5) 12-14 cairns, 1.5m by 3.5m in diameter. The distribution of stone and the topography suggests that they are in fact clearnace in function. There is a dubious ringcairn at SK 28807822 (possibly SMR 8005). It is very small and angular and was surveyed in autumn 1982. The external dimensions were 8 by 7m and internal were approx 3.5m. In June 1983 the central area had richer vegetation perhaps suggesting the presence of a quarry pit. T. Walsh (HAS Index) suggested an 'earth circle', externally measuring 12m and internally 6m, at SK 2876 7818 (NAR 422720043) (6,8) A ring of stone 12ft in diameter noted by L. B. Cooper at SK 289782 on 21.3.1965 (9)
- <1> SDR15493 Index: F.L. Preston. HAS D/171. D/171.
- <2> SDR13456 Map: Marsden, B.
- <3> SDR6359 Personal Observation: F1 JB 09-NOV-65.
- <4> SDR6564 Bibliographic reference:
- <5> SDR16424 Article in serial: Barnatt, J. 1986. 'Bronze Age remains on the East Moors of the Peak District', Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Volume 106, pp 18-100. p41 plan.
- <6> SDR16523 Unpublished document: Barnatt, J (PDNPA). Descriptive text on monuments in the Peak District.
- <7> SDR18109 Unpublished document: Cooper, L. B.. 1965. Desc. Text 21 3 1965. 21 3 1965.
- <8> SDR18039 Index: Walsh, T.. 1976. SMR:HAS Index:Walsh, T.:12.1976. 12.1976.
- <9> SDR18110 Index: NDAT. NDAT 1254, 5, 8. 1254, 5, 8.
- <10> SDR18111 Aerial Photograph: Meridian Air. Meridian Air 6.4.1968 18.68.124.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 2886 7827 (10m by 10m) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||HOLMESFIELD, NORTH EAST DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jun 9 2000 12:00AM