Scheduled Monument record MDR403 - Cowdale Lime Works, King Sterndale
Type and Period (7)
- ENGINE HOUSE (Victorian to Mid 20th Century - 1900 AD? to 1954 AD?)
- POWDER MAGAZINE (Victorian to Mid 20th Century - 1900 AD? to 1954 AD?)
- LIMESTONE QUARRY (Victorian to Mid 20th Century - 1900 AD? to 1954 AD?)
- RAILWAY SIDING (Victorian to Edwardian - 1870 AD to 1909 AD)
- POWER HOUSE (Edwardian - 1909 AD to 1909 AD)
- LIME WORKS (Victorian to Edwardian - 1890 AD to 1909 AD)
- GATEHOUSE (Edwardian - 1909 AD to 1909 AD)
Site of Cowdale Works of the New Buxton Lime Company, run by Buxton Lime Firms Co Ltd from c. 1900 and later became part of ICI. (1) Limestone quarry and limeworks, believed to be the last coal-fired traditional shaft kilns in use in Derbyshire in 1954 [see SMR 2894 for the lime kilns]. The layout of the whole site survives, including the quarry with transport and processing areas, a bank of four lime kilns [SMR 2894], an incline and drum house, powder house, large loading hoppers, railway sidings, entrance building. The powder house is a cave with a blast wall in front. The 1909 buildings - powerhouse and gatehouse - are of distinctive 'power' architecture with tapering buttresses to give the illusion of height and dentilled lintels. The site was assessed as part of the Monuments Protection Programme in 1997 and the remains at that time were considered to be nationally important and worthy of scheduling. (2) The remains of Cowdale Quarry limestone extraction and processing works were scheduled in October 2011, although the Power House had been demolished in May the same year. See the scheduling record for a full description of the scheduled area. (3) A desk-based assessment and building recording survey was carried out in 2010. (4)
- <1> SDR4751 Bibliographic reference: Fowkes, D. 1984. Derbyshire Industrial Archaeology - A Gazetteer of Sites. Part I. Borough of High Peak. p 25.
- <2> SDR4923 Bibliographic reference: Trueman, M. 1997. Monuments Protection Programme, Step 3 Report: Lime, Cement and Plaster Industries- Site Assessment. Site 3.
- <3> SDR21513 Scheduling record: English Heritage. 2011. Scheduling Notification: Cowdale Quarry Limestone Extraction and Processing Site 540m north-east of Staden Manor. List entry no. 1399726.
- <4> SDR24296 Unpublished document: Smalley, H and A Mora-Ottomano (ARS Ltd). 2010. An Archaeological Desk-Based Assessment and Buildings Appraisal of Cowdale Quarry, Buxton, Derbyshire.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 080 723 (763m by 477m) (Multiple Site Centre)|
|Civil Parish||BUXTON, HIGH PEAK, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Mar 3 2020 12:18PM