Monument record MDR4043 - Saxon Burials, Calver Low, Calver
Type and Period (1)
- INHUMATION (Saxon - 410 AD to 1065 AD)
- None recorded
SK 2367 7456. Anglo-Saxon burials discovered in August 1860 in the quarry overlooking the limekilns at Calver Low, consisting of five extended skeletons buried in graves, side by side with the heads to the west, one of the graves containing a Saxon Iron knife and another a small piece of coarse red pottery. There are indications of a tumulus in the field a few yards further back 'from the wall'. (1) Skull found with four skeletons on Carver [sic] Low on 30th August 1860. Iron knife, corroded and broken found at the hip of a skeleton at Calver Low, on the 29th August 1860. (2) Human Remains & Knife found. (3) No further information about the burials was obtained, and no trace of a tumulus was seen. (6)
- <1> SDR16985 Bibliographic reference: Bateman, T. 1861. Ten Years' Diggings in Celtic and Saxon Grave Hills. pp. 107-109.
- <2> SDR7282 Bibliographic reference: Howarth, E. 1899. Catalogue of the Bateman Collection of Antiquities in the Sheffield Public Museum. pp. 159, 236.
- <3> SDR11750 Map: 1922. O.S. 25".
- <4> SDR12503 Article in serial: Ozanne, A. 1962-3. 'The Peak Dwellers', Medieval Archaeology. Volume 6-7.
- <5> SDR6903 Bibliographic reference: Meaney, A. 1964. A Gazetteer of Early Anglo-Saxon Burial Sites.
- <6> SDR6352 Personal Observation: F1 JB 05-DEC-65.
- <7> SDR8643 Bibliographic reference: Marsden, B. 1977. The Burial Mounds of Derbyshire. p. 116.
- <8> SDR18394 Index: Hart, C. 1977. Peak Park Treasures: B299.
- <9> SDR9636 Index: NDAT. 0563. 0563.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 2366 7460 (177m by 188m) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||CALVER, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jan 24 2018 4:48PM