Monument record MDR4046 - Barrow, south-east of Rowdale House, Hassop
Type and Period (3)
- BARROW (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
- INHUMATION (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
- CREMATION (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
- None recorded
(SK 2100 7051). Dimensions: 25 x 16m in diameter and 1m in height. Apparently uniquely-shaped barrow on Crakendale Pasture, near Bakewell consisting of three "prolongations radiating from a central mound". It was excavated by Bateman on the 23rd April 1851. Digging in various places revealed scattered pieces of bone, both human and animal and in the centre, the remains of three adults and one child, as well as some calcined bone, animal bone, fragments of a drinking-cup and a small horn implement. The centre of the barrow was carefully surrounded by several courses of flat stones set edgeware on the natural surface. (1) TUMULUS. (2) Published survey 1/2500 correct. As described above. (3) A uniquely shaped barrow with good visibility at the northern end of the ridge at the highest point within 1km and good for within 5km to the north and south/south-east. The barrow has three extensions, to the north-east, south and west which may be prehistoric later additions. Alternatively, the site may be mutilated by heavy ploughing in the medieval period. It was excavated by Bateman on the 23rd April 1851 as described above. (7)
- <1> SDR16985 Bibliographic reference: Bateman, T. 1861. Ten Years' Diggings in Celtic and Saxon Grave Hills. p71.
- <2> SDR12081 Map: 1955. OS 6".
- <3> SDR6385 Personal Observation: F1 JB 23-NOV-65.
- <4> SDR19161 Unpublished document: Peak District National Park Authority (PDNPA). Parish file. Sketch plan: 1/8" = 1'.
- <5> SDR10811 Index: North Derbyshire Archaeological Committee (NDAC). North Derbyshire Archaeological Committee Index. 1977: 1184.
- <6> SDR18971 Photograph: Peak District National Park Authority (PDNPA). Slide Collection. 7304.1-3.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 2099 7051 (17m by 19m) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||HASSOP, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
May 6 2015 10:30AM