Monument record MDR4052 - Deserted Medieval village, Birchill, Hassop
Type and Period (1)
- DESERTED SETTLEMENT (Medieval to Post Medieval - 1066 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
[SK 226708] Birchill Farm. Berceles is recorded in Domesday in 1086 and various other denominations of the name including Birchelles and Byrchyll have been recorded throughout the medieval period up to 1550. Birchill as it is known today was first noted in 1577. (1). Birchall appeared as a berewick of Ashford in 1086 and was still marked as a village on the Saxton map, though it is now represented only by Birchill Farm. The strip systems at SK216 707 may have belonged to the lost village of Birchill. (2). No trace of desertion was seen in the fields surrounding Birchill farm and farm labourers cannot recall ploughing through any foundations whilst working in the area. No strip systems are evident in the area quoted. (3). Subsequently a hollow-way has been identified running down from Birchills Farm to the Hassop Road beyond Birchills, SK 226 708 - SK 224 704. Cropmarks of possible rectangular buildings were identified at SK 2270 7078 from an aerial photograph. (4,6). This small hamlet, recorded as a settlement in Domesday and regularly throughout the medieval period (1), currently has two dwellings. The first detailed map of the settlement is from the early 17th century drawn by Senior and shows at least two dwellings if not farms. By 1778, the next available map, the settlement had been reduced to a single farms. No earthworks survive of these structures. The present buildings comprise of a two-storey farmhouse in a late 19th century style. This building used to be thatched, according to the tenant. It may have been built as three cottages identified from its appearance. The second two-storey house may have been the main farmhouse. These buildings were probably built by 1778. (7).
- <1> SDR5940 Bibliographic reference: Cameron, K. 1959. The Place-Names of Derbyshire, Part I. English Place-Name Society, Vol. XXVII.. p110.
- <2> SDR7773 Article in serial: Wightman, W E. 1961. 'Open field agriculture in the Peak District', Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Volume 81, pp 111-125. p120.
- <3> SDR6385 Personal Observation: F1 JB 23-NOV-65.
- <4> SDR1100 Aerial Photograph: OS. 1968. AP: 110.68.288.
- <5> SDR10811 Index: North Derbyshire Archaeological Committee (NDAC). North Derbyshire Archaeological Committee Index. 1977: 1187.
- <6> SDR9740 Index: NDAT. 1187. 1187.
- <7> SDR20313 Unpublished document: Barnatt, J and H Taylor (PDNPA). 2000. The Chatsworth Estate Historic Landscape Survey, Chatsworth Inbye Land: Archaeological Survey 1999-2000. No.39.16, pp138-139.
- <8> SDR18971 Photograph: Peak District National Park Authority (PDNPA). Slide Collection. 7306.1-2.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 225 708 (357m by 347m) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||HASSOP, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Apr 9 2015 9:40AM