Listed Building record MDR4062 - Hassop Hall, Hassop
Type and Period (1)
- COUNTRY HOUSE (Elizabethan to Victorian - 1600 AD to 1900 AD)
SK 22197221. Hassop Hall is a Grade II* listed large house of mainly late Georgian date. Stone with ashlar front, slated roof and stone stacks. Balustraded parapet. Flat and moulded string courses. Three storeys. Sashes. Four canted three-storeyed bays on south. Three circular windows in top storey, the central with swags. Doric doorway with pediment and window above with segmental pediment and swags. Two niches in ground stage on south. (1) Hassop Hall. (2) Hassop Hall incorporates an earlier house, probably built in the early 17th century by the Eyres of Padley. The Hall underwent modernisation in 1827-33 by Thomas Eyre. At this time, the entrance was moved from the south to the west and the facades were classized. The main south front is stone, of three storeys, with a top balustrade and four full-height canted bays. There are neo-classical designs on the building. Interior: Early 19th century. In the north-west wing exists a crude carving with the date 159(6), found bricked up in this part of the house. To the north, a ballroom dating to 1827-33 was raised above the dairy and has a shaped gable. It is reached from the house by a vaulted passage and stairway. Other subterranean passages lead to the lake, church and extra cellarage in the park. An Italianate garden with a sham-Tudor gazebo exists to the east of the Hall. (3) Originally a 16th century house then rebuilt in 1827-1833 on an L-shaped plan. (4) Hassop Hall Grade II* (see list for details). (5) The hall has structural elements of various dates. This includes an early 16th century overmantle in one of the rooms, another has a blocked mullioned and transomed window of 16th century date, while the back of the house has 18th century fenestration. The hall was extensively remodelled between 1827-33 and all external features on south, east and west elevations are of this date. After remodelling, it comprised of a three-storey L-shaped house with south and west fronts, of seven and six bays respectively. The three bays of the north-west wing have subsequently been reduced to one storey. (6) The present house was built by Rowland Eyre shortly before his death in 1626 after a branch of the Eyres bought the Hassop Estate from the Plumptons in the late 15th century. The Roman Catholic church was built by Francis Eyre in 1816. Dorothy Eyre, the last of the Hassop line, died in 1853 after signing a will that left everything to her husband, Colonel Charles Leslie. The estate remained with the Leslies until 1919, when it stood empty until 1953, at which point much restoration work was needed. During the restoration, a 16-room wing was demolished. The oldest part of the building made from rough-cast limstone probably has not changed much since when Rowland Eyre was in residence, whereas the west front entrance was greatly altered during alteration works by Thomas Eyre between 1827 and 1833. Below the massive ballroom (also part of the work of Thomas Eyre) is what is probably a dairy with stone troughs and an old stone cheese press, and behind the ballroom is a block of stables, also constructed by Thomas Eyre. (7) An assessment of 2019 identified that the earliest part of the hall, which dates from late C16th-early C17th, took the form of an 'L-shaped' building, with the longest elevation facing south, but with a rear wing to the west. In the late C18th/early 19th the hall was extensively remodelled: with additions to the rear of the long part of the hall and to the west wing. In the C20th further alternations led to the addition of an east wing to the rear. This seems to have taken in an early C18th outbuilding. (8)
- <1> SDR9031 Bibliographic reference: Ministry of Housing and Local Government (MHLG). 1963. Bakewell Road, Derby, July 1963.
- <2> SDR11943 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1975. 1:10000.
- <3> SDR12891 Bibliographic reference: Pevsner, N. 1979. The Buildings of England: Derbyshire. 2nd ed., revised. p239.
- <4> SDR4305 Bibliographic reference: Craven, M & Stanley, M. 1982. The Derbyshire Country House, Volume I. p39.
- <5> SDR5212 Bibliographic reference: Department of the Environment. 1987. DOE (HHR) District of West Derbyshire.
- <6> SDR19238 Unpublished document: Barnatt, J (PDNPA). 1993. Hassop Estate, Hassop and Rowland, archaeological survey, 1993. No.142, pp 23-24.
- <7> SDR23520 Article in serial: Christian, R. 1963. 'Derbyshire's other stately homes, Hassop Hall', Derbyshire Life and Countryside.
- <8> SDR24533 Unpublished document: Thomson, J and V Beauchamp (JESSOP). 2019. Hassop Hall, Hassop, Derbyshire: Heritage Appraisal.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 2218 7222 (39m by 41m) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||HASSOP, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Nov 20 2019 3:32PM