Listed Building record MDR4139 - Chatsworth House, Chatsworth Estate, Chatsworth
Type and Period (1)
- COUNTRY HOUSE (Stuart to Victorian - 1687 AD to 1842 AD)
Chatsworth House [T.I.] is marked on the 1955 OS map. (1) Chatsworth is one of the three most impressive mansions in the county. The two main building periods are 1687-1707 and 1820-42. There are no visible remains of an earlier, Elizabethan house, c.1557, on the same site. (2) A perfectly preserved example of the period. (3) Chatsworth House is a grade I listed building. The present vast mansion was begun in 1687 and continued during the 18th century and the early part of the 19th century. The first architect was William Talman and Wren was consulted a few years later. The early 19th century extensions are due to Sir Jeffrey Wyatville. The chapel is particularly good with its original fittings and scheme of decoration. See Country Life, vol.XLIII, 12, 35, 60, 8 84 and Derbyshire by N. Pevsner pp. 81-93. (4) During the renovation work on the first floor of Chatsworth House, areas of historic fabric were temporarily removed. New and unexpected evidence in the form of footprints discovered beneath the floorboards of the craftsmen who were contracted to undertake the work in the 1830s. It is likely that more examples will survive in other buildings where layers of puggin survive undisturbed. (7)
- <1> SDR11765 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1955. 6".
- <2> SDR190 Bibliographic reference: Pevsner, N. 1953. The Buildings of England: Derbyshire, 1st edition. p81-2.
- <3> SDR6339 Personal Observation: F1 FRH 30-NOV-65.
- <4> SDR5535 Bibliographic reference: DOE(HHR)Bakewell RD, Derby, July 1963, 13-14..
- <6> SDR18334 Index: North Derbyshire Archaeological Trust (NDAT). North Derbyshire Archaeological Trust Index: 0665. 0665.
- <7> SDR22373 Article in serial: Jessop, O (JESSOP). 'Floorboards and Footprints- construction of the first floor in the western front at Chatsworth', Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Vol. 133, pages 145-151.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 260 701 (70m by 175m) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||CHATSWORTH, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Aug 15 2020 10:44AM