Monument record MDR4142 - Barrow, Stone Low, Brampton
Type and Period (2)
- ROUND BARROW (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
- CINERARY URN (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
- None recorded
[SK 28977162] STONE LOW [O.E.] (1) About 1830 a barrow upon the East Moor, near Baslow, called Stone Lowe, was accidentally opened by the farmer in whose stackyard it stood. In the centre he found two large urns, containing calcined bones and flints and a small incense cup. (2) The remains of a tumulus are visible as a low, semi-circular platform in an area of disused quarries. Published survey (25") revised. (3) This site has largely been removed, probably for its stone. Only the rim to the south-west survives, and this is 0.3m high upslope and 0.7m downslope. To the north is a low platform which postdates the barrow destruction and is probably the site of a farm shed associated with the use of the area as a stackyard, as noted by Bateman. The extant rim and other breaks of slope suggest a diameter of c. 26.5m from north-west to south-east. The site is in poor condition and it is difficult to see why it has been scheduled. (7)
- <1> SDR11765 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1955. 6".
- <2> SDR2903 Bibliographic reference: Bateman, T. 1848. Vestiges of the Antiquities of Derbyshire. pp 27-28, illust..
- <3> SDR6330 Personal Observation: F1 FRH 25-NOV-65.
- <4> SDR8643 Bibliographic reference: Marsden, B. 1977. The Burial Mounds of Derbyshire. p23.
- <5> SDR18327 Index: NDAT. NDAT 0236. 0236.
- <6> SDR7282 Bibliographic reference: Howarth, E. 1899. Catalogue of the Bateman Collection of Antiquities in the Sheffield Public Museum. p155.
- <7> SDR2466 Unpublished document: Barnatt, J. 1989. The Peak District Barrow Survey (updated 1994). Site 29:17.
- <8> SDR16424 Article in serial: Barnatt, J. 1986. 'Bronze Age remains on the East Moors of the Peak District', Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Volume 106, pp 18-100.
- <9> SDR4567 Article in serial: Barnatt, J (University of Sheffield) & Reeder, P. 1982. 'Prehistoric rock art in the Peak District', Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Volume 102, pp 33-44. pp 40, 43.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 2896 7163 (6m by 6m) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||BRAMPTON, NORTH EAST DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Sep 1 2016 10:19AM