Monument record MDR4143 - Whibbersley Cross, Leash Fen, Baslow and Bubnell
Type and Period (1)
- BOUNDARY CROSS (Medieval to Post Medieval - 1066 AD to 1900 AD)
[SK 2958 7274] WHIBBERSLEY CROSS [G.T.] (1) Whibbersley Cross, on Leash Fen beside the Chesterfield Road was probably a boundary mark appertaining to Beauchief Abbey. (2) Approved for scheduling by the Ministry of Works. (3) 'Removed within memory to a position a little north of its original site .. The base is two feet six inches square by eighteen inches deep; the mortise hole is quite modernly cemented and, some years ago, the shaft was broken off level with the bse. The broken cross-shaft, rudely hewn, and of closer grit, is three feet nine inches long by nine inches square. The cross-top is shaped in a diamond form with slightly projecting, elongated points; the measurement between the points is fourteen inches. The markings on the base are I M B. The bottom part of the B is broken off. C C. and a B carved upside down. These markings require to be thoroughly explained .. the B's may refer to the parishes' (4) See G.Ps. AO/65/201/2 and 66/15/7 (5) A boundary stone on Leash Fen, beside the Chesterfield Rd, probably pertaining to Beauchief Abbey. Reportedly it had been moved in the late 19th century from its original position slightly to the south. The base is of unweathered grey gritstone, while the shaft is of sandstone, with a diamond-shaped head. (6) The medieval wayside cross known as Whibbersley Cross is situated on Leash Fen in the East Moors of the Derbyshire Peak District. It comprises a roughly chiselled gritstone shaft of rectangular section set into a rectangular socle or cross-base measuring 15cm high by 69cm north-south by 54cm east-west. The shaft measure 103cm high by 24cm north-south by 21cm east-west and includes an integral lozenge-shaped cross head which has the faint impression of a carved equal-armed cross on its east face. The cross is reputed originally to have stood some way south of its present location, next to the ancient route across Leash Fen which was superceded by the present turnpike road. It may also have served as a boundary cross marking the estate of Beauchief Abbey (9).
- <1> SDR11765 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1955. 6".
- <2> SDR7492 Article in serial: Tudor, T. 1934. 'Minor monuments and lesser antiquities of Derbyshire, 1934', Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Volume 55, pp 64-76. p67.
- <3> SDR7134 Article in serial: Heathcote, J. 1961. 'Scheduled Ancient Monuments', Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Volume 81. p136.
- <4> SDR15352 Article in serial: Ward, G H B. 1921. 'Fox Lane and Whibbersley Crosses', Transactions of the Hunter Archaeological Society. Volume 2, pp 137-141.
- <5> SDR6330 Personal Observation: F1 FRH 25-NOV-65.
- <6> SDR18168 Index: NDAT. NDAT 0231.
- <7> SDR18169 Article in serial: Jacques, W. 1925. 'Whibbersley Cross', Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Volume 47, pp 254-6.
- <8> SDR18277 Map: OS. 1839. OS First Edition 1".
- <9> SDR18966 Scheduling record: English Heritage. 1994. Scheduling Description: Wayside cross known as Whibbersley Cross. Mon. no. 23337. Cat. No. 150.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 2958 7274 (4m by 3m) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||BASLOW AND BUBNELL, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Apr 13 2015 10:06AM