Monument record MDR4146 - Barrow and urn & food vessel (site of), Over Lane, Baslow
Type and Period (1)
- ROUND BARROW (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
- None recorded
[SK 2535 7265](2) The remains of a barrow were found about 1948 in the garden of Mr. Spencer Smith's house in Over Lane, Baslow, The barrow, containing an inhumation, a food vessel and an overhanging rim (collared) urn, was destroyed and the pottery is in Sheffield City Museum. (1) Mr. Smith's housekeeper indicated the site of the barrow at SK 2512 7325, now under lawn. There are no remains but the position occupies a small natural prominence. (2) The finds are in Sheffield City Museum.
- <1> SDR15475 Index: F.L. Preston. Transcript Hunter Index, 2, D/165.
- <1a> SDR3772 Unpublished document: Capt. M. Grainger per J.E. Bartlett..
- <2> SDR4160 Unpublished document: Corr. 6" (Sheffield City Museum, undated)..
- <3> SDR6330 Personal Observation: F1 FRH 25-NOV-65.
- <4> SDR18278 Index: NDAT. NDAT 0235. 0235.
- <5> SDR18279 Index: NDAT. NDAT 2785. 2785.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 2512 7325 (10m by 10m) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||BASLOW AND BUBNELL, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Apr 13 2015 10:07AM