Monument record MDR4147 - Cairn complex, Brampton East Moor, Brampton
Type and Period (1)
- CAIRN (Late Neolithic to Early Bronze Age - 3000 BC to 1501 BC)
[SK 2919 7078] Circular stone barrow approx. 50 ft. diam. & 4 ft. high, partly robbed for adjacent sheepfold. Discovered and partially excavated by Mr. C. Gregory of Pilsley, Nr. Bakewell. Flint implements found to date. (1) The cairn, as sited above is now an amorphous mass of rubble 1.5m high. No rim stones are visible, but may be hidden by overspill. Two excavation pits have been cleared to ground level, there is no evidence of chambering. Survey (stone detail shown but not named on 25') revised. (2) Additional reference. (3) Large robbed cairn 16.5m x 15.5m, badly disturbed. Two large holes in the monument and most of it appears to have been turned over. Scheduled (8) as a large complex of funerary cairns occupying a commanding position. Stone kerb and edges of at least two adjoining cairns visible, despite disturbances, with indications of a possible third cairn adjoining. Cairn complex measures 15m across and stands 0.7m high, although original diameter of more than 17m can be discerned. Site monitoring has been carried out. See record for details. (9)
- <1> SDR4099 Bibliographic reference:
- <2> SDR6330 Personal Observation: F1 FRH 25-NOV-65.
- <3> SDR8643 Bibliographic reference: Marsden, B. 1977. The Burial Mounds of Derbyshire. p23.
- <4> SDR18329 Index: NDAT. NDAT 0405. 0405.
- <5> SDR16523 Unpublished document: Barnatt, J (PDNPA). Descriptive text on monuments in the Peak District.
- <6> SDR16424 Article in serial: Barnatt, J. 1986. 'Bronze Age remains on the East Moors of the Peak District', Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Volume 106, pp 18-100. p54, fig 12.
- <8> SDR18613 Scheduling record: English Heritage. 2000. Scheduling Notification. 31267. Cat No.: 479.
- <9> SDR22279 Unpublished document: Marriott, J (PDNPA). 2010. Scheduled Monument Monitoring Form: Cairn complex 780m S of Dalebrook House.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 2919 7077 (42m by 46m) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||BRAMPTON, NORTH EAST DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (3)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Sep 1 2016 10:19AM