Building record MDR4153 - St Anne's Church, Baslow
Type and Period (3)
- CHURCH (Medieval to Post Medieval - 1066 AD to 1900 AD)
- Churchyard Cross (Saxon to Post Medieval - 410 AD to 1900 AD)
- SUNDIAL (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
[SK 2518 7232] St. Anne's Ch. [T.U.] (1) St. Anne's Church, Baslow, has an early broached spire. The interior was much renewed in the 1850's and the chancel was built in 1911. (2) A small pre-Norman cross-shaft fragment is built into the west wall of the south porch. (3). (2-3) St. Anne's is in normal use; the tiny A/S knot-work fragment in the porch is accompanied by architectural details and a coffin lid of the 14th c. At SK 2518 7231 old steps of a cross survive, with later base and shaft carrying a sundial; see GP AO/65/201/3. An old cross base and shaft stand by the churchyard gate at SK 2522 7236; see GP AO/65/201/4. (4)
- <1> SDR11765 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1955. 6".
- <2> SDR190 Bibliographic reference: Pevsner, N. 1953. The Buildings of England: Derbyshire, 1st edition. p85.
- <3> SDR7533 Article in serial: Fisher, F & Williamson, F. 1954. 'A Pre-Norman carving at Baslow', Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Volume 74. p157-8.
- <4> SDR6339 Personal Observation: F1 FRH 30-NOV-65.
- <5> SDR18304 Index: NDAT. NDAT 0265. 0265.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 2517 7234 (10m by 10m) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||BASLOW AND BUBNELL, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Sep 1 2016 10:19AM