In 1893 Addy recorded the stone circle known as 'The Seven Stones in Hordron', as having a diameter of 54ft with 10 upright stones and one recumbent stone. (1)
A well-preserved stone circle, correctly described above. (2) Situated at SK 21528685 in a slight dip on a flat topped ridge, the stone circle measures approximately 15.6m between the centres of its eleven remaining stones. The stones, ranging in height from 0.5m to 1.0m high, are all earthfast and upright except for two which are fallen but most probably still near their original positions, and another which is only the top of a stone just protruding through the turf. (This could be Addy's 'recumbent stone'). There is no trace of any accompanying features such as a bank or ditch and the interior is flat and featureless. The circle is almost certainly not intact and possibly six or more stones may have existed. There are several small loose (probably packing) stones laid about the site but no trace of any larger ones that may have come from the circle. The name was not confirmed. Surveyed at 1:10 000. (3)
The stone circle is a scheduled monument, site name 'Moscar Moor Stone Circle', consisting of 12 stones with a maximum height of 1.25m, undressed. A gap in the north-west quadrant of the circle probably indicates that some stones are missing. (4)
The Seven Stones in Hordron is an unusual stone circle inasmuch as it has no bank or central burial mound. There are many fallen stones on its circumference and the complete circle may have contained as many as 26 stones. (5)
At SK215868 is 'Seven Stones Circle', with a diameter of 56 ft (17.06m). Seven of the larger stones are standing, others that once formed the circle are broken or lying recumbent. Originally the circle may have had about 18-19 stones. There is evidence of a slight mound in the centre and even faint traces of a surrounding bank. (7)
This freestanding stone circle is located in a splendidly isolated spot on the flat crest of Hordron Edge at 330m OD. Nearby are several possible cairns. The circle comprises ten orthostats in a 16 x 15m ring. There is no trace of a bank or central features. Nine of the stones still stand, with heights varying between 0.95m and 0.45m. The largest stands to the south-west but is only marginally taller than two to the north and hence may be of no special significance. Today the stones are arranged in three groups with wide gaps between each of these. There are 14 small stones in the gaps lying on the present ground surface which are probably relatively modern additions, perhaps placed by a visitor to help estimate the original number of stones. There are no signs of robber pits for further orthostats in the wider gaps and hence it is possible that the original design was much as seen today. However, if destruction or collapse of further stones took place in antiquity, the evidence for this may be masked as there is a relatively thick peat cover. If the stones were once regularly spaced, as seems likely by analogy with other Peak District sites, there would have been 16 orthostats in the ring. The circle is noted in a perambulation of the boundary of Hallamshire in 1574 as 'a place where certeine stones are set upon the ends and having marks upon them, called the Seavenstones'. The name Seven Stones cannot be purely descriptive as at least nine of the stones will always have been clearly visible. The number is likely to refer to a now forgotten folklore tradition. Addy notes that the number seven was known as 'the magical number' in late 19th century Hallamshire folklore. (8)
Unpublished document: Barnatt, J (PDNPA). 1992. The Hordron Edge Stone Circle, Derwent, Derbyshire, damage and restoration, 1992.
Bibliographic reference: Addy, S. 1893. The Hall of Waltheof. p 55.
Personal Observation: F1 RWE 18-MAY-65.
Bibliographic reference: F2 ISS 25-MAY-78.
Scheduling record: 1978. DOE (IAM) Ancient Monuments in England 3 - East Anglia & the Midlands - 23. Derbyshire 156.
Monograph: Thom, Thom and Burl. 1980. Megalithic Rings. BAR 81. p 23.
Article in serial: Makepeace, G (Hunter Archaeological Society). 1987. 'An archaeological survey of Bamford and Hathersage Outseats, Derbyshire', Trans. Hunter Arch. Soc.. Volume 14, pp 43-55. pp 45-46; Fig 2.
Monograph: Barnatt, J. 1990. The Henges, Stone Circles and Ringcairns of the Peak District. pp 45-46, Fig. 16.
Photograph: Peak District National Park Authority (PDNPA). Black and white photograph collection. 479.25-29.
Photograph: Peak District National Park Authority (PDNPA). Slide Collection. 4620.1-23.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 2152 8685 (20m by 18m) (Centre)
DERWENT, HIGH PEAK, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (3)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jan 16 2017 11:25AM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.