Monument record MDR4182 - Cairnfield, Ladybower Inn, Bamford
Type and Period (3)
- CAIRNFIELD (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
- FIELD SYSTEM (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
- HUT CIRCLE (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
SK 208858. Numerous cairns, diam. 6 ft, ht 6" (1, 2) These mounds (with the exception of one large probable burial cairn) are the result of stone clearance; slight lynchets and low stone banks forming minor fields denote former agriculture. No hut sites were found. Mounds surveyed at 1/2500. (3) Centred at SK 20738583 on a northwest facing hill spur are the remains of a small field system and a hut-circle. The deep heather cover has been burnt off revealing about a dozen stone clearance heaps, slight traces of lynchets and low stone banks defining fields about 20m square. Some of the cleared stones appear to have been dumped along the edge of the rocky scarp in the west. At SK 20708585 on the west edge of the system is a flat near-circular area (about 5m overall diameter) levelled into the slope and edged with boulders just protruding through the peat. A piece of cindery slag was found by the investigator in the northwest side. Though ill-defined and in poor condition this is almost certainly the remains of a hut-circle contemporary with the field system. There is no evidence that any of the clearance heaps have been utilised for burial. Hut surveyed at 1:10 000. Field System delineated on 1:10 560 Record Sheet. (4) Listed by Challis and Harding as stone banks, fields and cairns under 'Bronze Age Extensive Settlement'. (5) Cairnfield, Priddock Wood South. This group of sites can be seen as a continuation of that to the north (SMR 1003), separated by a small but steep-sided valley. The main concentration of sites is on a flat-topped spur at approx. 335m OD. Here a stone-free area is defined on two sides by uncleared stony areas and on a third by a short stretch of bank. Within the stone-free area are between seven and ten small cairns, ranging in diameter from 2m to 5m. One of these is rectangular, with a kerb of gritstone slabs. To the south, 19th century construction of enclosure walls may have destroyed prehistoric remains. Well within these walls are five amorphous clearance heaps 2m to 4.5m in diameter. To the south-east of the main cairnfield, beyond a low ridge on a sheltered east-facing slope, are from two to four small cairns. These range from 1.5m to 2.5m in diameter and are situated at an altitude of approx. 350-365m OD. The fact that they stand in a stone-free area again suggests that they could be clearance heaps. (7) SK 207858. Small area of clearance, a linear bank and an associated rock shelter. This has a number of gritstone slabs-on-edge around the base of the overhang. (8) Scheduled. The monument includes the remains of a prehistoric cairnfield, dated to the Bronze Age. The cairnfield overlooks the upper Derwent valley to the west and occupies two spurs of land separated by a small but relatively steep escarpment. It is therefore in two separated areas of protection. However, the two areas are interpreted as part of a single field system. (9)
- <1> SDR15459 Index: Transcript Hunter Index Vol 2. D/168 (F.L. Preston).
- <2> SDR5710 Bibliographic reference: 1960. East Midland Archaeological Bulletin, No. 3.
- <3> SDR6260 Personal Observation: F1 FDC 20-JUL-66.
- <4> SDR6609 Personal Observation: F2 ISS 26-MAY-78.
- <5> SDR2441 Monograph: Challis, A & Harding, W. 1975. 'Later Prehistory from the Trent to the Tyne', British Archaeological Report 20. Part 2. p44.
- <6> SDR10000 Index: North Derbyshire Archaeological Trust (NDAT). North Derbyshire Archaeological Trust Index. 0184, 0187, 0191.
- <7> SDR16424 Article in serial: Barnatt, J. 1986. 'Bronze Age remains on the East Moors of the Peak District', Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Volume 106, pp 18-100. pp 24-25, Fig. 4.
- <8> SDR15205 Article in serial: Makepeace, G (Hunter Archaeological Society). 1987. 'An archaeological survey of Bamford and Hathersage Outseats, Derbyshire', Trans. Hunter Arch. Soc.. Volume 14, pp 43-55. p46.
- <9> SDR18359 Scheduling record: English Heritage. 1998. Scheduling Notification. 29834. Cat. No.: 425.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 207 857 (313m by 296m) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||BAMFORD, HIGH PEAK, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Apr 17 2015 9:03AM