Monument record MDR4191 - Romano-British settlement, Ladybower North, Derwent
Type and Period (1)
- ENCLOSED SETTLEMENT (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
SK 209 868. A small enclosure with a possible hut in one corner. (1) Ladybower North, Derwent, on a south-facing daleside site is a small enclosure with a hut and walls of double orthostat construction. The site is now under thin deciduous wood. Dated as Romano-British, based on surface finds sherds. (2) At SK 209 869 are the remnants of an enclosure with a house site in the corner, dated to the Romano-British period on its walling construction, namely slab-on-edge and rubble. (3) The site comprises a small 'D'-shaped enclosure comprising low stony banks situated immediately above the northern vallyside of Ladybower Brook. Within the enclosure and attached to its straight side is a 'U'-shaped bank measuring approximately 4m by 5m. Much of the banks are orthostatic in construction, comprising large stones deliberately placed rather than the clearance of stones from cultivation plots. The feature is probably a Romano-British settlement enclosure. Sherds of Romano-British pottery were discovered on the ground surface and placed with Sheffield City Museum. The 'U'-shaped structure is probably a small building and the surrounding banks the limits of a surrounding enclosure. It is possible that the settlement was used in later prehistory also and may be related to a prehistoric field system to the north. (5) Scheduled. (6) Site monitoring was carried out in 2009, at which time the site appeared not to be under threat. (7)
- <1> SDR5713 Bibliographic reference: May, J (ed.). 1963. East Midland Archaeological Bulletin, No. 6. p 2.
- <2> SDR15202 Article in serial: Beswick, P and Merrills, D. 1983. 'L H Butcher's survey of early settlements and fields in the Southern Pennines', Transactions of the Hunter Archaeology Society. Volume 12, pp 16-50. p28, f4.
- <3> SDR15205 Article in serial: Makepeace, G (Hunter Archaeological Society). 1987. 'An archaeological survey of Bamford and Hathersage Outseats, Derbyshire', Trans. Hunter Arch. Soc.. Volume 14, pp 43-55. p48.
- <4> SDR9509 Index: NDAT. 0192. 0192.
- <5> SDR19164 Unpublished document: Bevan, B (PDNPA). 1996. Yorkshire Bridge to Ashopton, Hope Woodlands, Bamford and Derwent, Derbyshire, archaeological survey, 1996. p 20, Feature 46.
- <6> SDR18881 Scheduling record: English Heritage. 2002. Scheduling Notice: R-B farmstead and post-medieval charcoal burning site 570m NE of Ladybower Inn. 31309. Cat. No. 528.
- <7> SDR22295 Unpublished document: Wetton, P (PDNPA). 2009. Scheduled Monument Monitoring Form: Farmstead and charcoal site.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 209 868 (50m by 42m) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||DERWENT, HIGH PEAK, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jan 16 2017 11:25AM