Monument record MDR4203 - Round barrow, Crow Chin Fault, Outseats
Type and Period (1)
- ROUND BARROW (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
Second of two barrows at Crow Chin. It is not clear whether it was this or the other barrow (SMR 11308) that was excavated by Miss Cheney in 1815. More redeposited Mesolithic material in this mound. (1) Southern cairn of this pair. It also has a kerb. (2) Two Bronze Age cairns and Mesolithic habitation evidence. 1) Diameter 32', height 3', with stone revetment. 2) Diameter 25', height 3', with stone revetment. A M Fleming conducted a barrow excavation in 1972 and found a central robbed grave and Mesolithic material. (4, 7) Reports on the Mesolithic assemblage. (5, 6)
- <1> SDR9863 Index: North Derbyshire Archaeological Trust (NDAT). North Derbyshire Archaeological Trust Index: 1641. 1641.
- <2> SDR2768 Personal Observation: Barnatt, J. Personal observation by John Barnatt, Peak District National Park Authority.
- <3> SDR16424 Article in serial: Barnatt, J. 1986. 'Bronze Age remains on the East Moors of the Peak District', Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Volume 106, pp 18-100.
- <5> SDR19253 Unpublished document: Myers, A. 1994. Report on the Mesolithic Assemblage found at Crow Chin Barrow, following A. Fleming's Excavation of 1972.
- <6> SDR15200 Article in serial: Henderson, A. H. 1979. Mesolithic Material from the Surface of the Stanage Barrows 1979. Volume 10, pt5.
- <7> SDR19254 Article in serial: Henderson, A. H.. 1973. Yorkshire Archaeological Journal, No. 45. 45. p. 200.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 224 856 (20m by 33m) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||OUTSEATS, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jan 12 2017 3:20PM