Find Spot record MDR4209 - Polished stone axes, Scraperlow, Hathersage
Type and Period (1)
- FINDSPOT (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2351 BC)
- None recorded
Polished stone axe of quartz, epidote, felspar-ash (probably from Lake District) and fragment of polished stone axe of Group VI (Langdale) found about 1953 near Scraperlow, east of Hathersage and on loan to Sheffield University, Dept. of Geography. (1, 2) Both axes are held by Sheffield City Museum. No additional siting evidence was obtained. (3) The whole axe has dimensions of Length: 4.5inch, Breadth: 2.1inch cutting edge, Breadth: 1.8inch butt. (6)
- <1> SDR15440 Index: HAS, Preston, F. L.. 1956. C/62. C/62.
- <2> SDR7952 Bibliographic reference: Bartlett, J E. Sheffield City Museum.
- <3> SDR6364 Personal Observation: F1 JB 10-SEP-65.
- <4> SDR17226 Index: OS. SK 28 SW 4. SK 28 SW 4.
- <5> SDR17227 Index: NDAT. 1191. 1191.
- <6> SDR13190 Article in serial: Moore, C N and Cummins, W A. 1974. 'Petrological Identification of Stone Implements from Derbyshire and Leicestershire', Proceedings of the Prehistoric Society. Volume 40, pp 59-78.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 243 814 (100m by 100m) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||HATHERSAGE, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jul 1 2015 10:23AM