Monument record MDR4213 - Highlow, Cairn
Type and Period (1)
- ROUND BARROW (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
- None recorded
On the summit of Highlow there are traces of a barrow 189 ft. in circumference, and partially (4) destroyed in about 1863, when two flat axes, ornamented with a chevron pattern (3) (a), burnt bones and fragments of pottery were found. Nearby are five small barrows, all destroyed (1). (1-4) There has been intensive quarrying on Highlow and there are no visual archaeological remains. (5) Pottery is also reported to have been found at this site in 1831 The Duke of Devonshire reputedly holds an artefact from this site at Chatsworth
- <1> SDR16550 Article in serial: Rooke, H. 1785. 'A further account of some Druidical remains in Derbyshire', Archaeologia. Volume 7.
- <2> SDR12600 Bibliographic reference: Pennington, R. 1877. Notes on the Barrows and Bone Caves of Derbyshire. p50.
- <3> SDR15351 Article in serial: Preston, F. L.. 1961. Transactions of the Hunter Archaeological Society 1961. Volume 8 Part 3. p162.
- <4> SDR4113 Bibliographic reference:
- <4b> SDR9166 Bibliographic reference:
- <5> SDR6364 Personal Observation: F1 JB 10-SEP-65.
- <6> SDR16523 Unpublished document: Barnatt, J (PDNPA). Descriptive text on monuments in the Peak District.
- <7> SDR8643 Bibliographic reference: Marsden, B. 1977. The Burial Mounds of Derbyshire.
- <8> SDR17162 Index: NDAT. 1235. 1235.
- <9> SDR17246 Article in serial: Sheffield Independent. 1831. Walks in the Neighbourhood of Sheffield 1831. 16.7.1831.
- <10> SDR17164 Index: OS. SK 28 SW 8. SK 28 SW 8.
- <11> SDR17165 Index: NDAC, Hart, C. 1977. Peak Park Treasures B264. B264.
- <12> SDR2466 Unpublished document: Barnatt, J. 1989. The Peak District Barrow Survey (updated 1994). Site 30:15.
- <13> SDR16424 Article in serial: Barnatt, J. 1986. 'Bronze Age remains on the East Moors of the Peak District', Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Volume 106, pp 18-100.
- <14> SDR15278 Article in serial: Jewitt, L.. 1864. 'Notice of the discovery of some Celtic remains at Stancliffe Hall, Darley Dale', The Reliquary. Volume 4, pp 200-206. p63.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 2210 8020 (10m by 10m) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||HIGHLOW, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jan 27 2000 12:00AM