Monument record MDR422 - Clough Mill, Primrose Lane, Little Hayfield
Type and Period (3)
- COTTON MILL (Georgian to Victorian - 1830 AD to 1839 AD)
- LEAT (Georgian to Victorian - 1830 AD to 1839 AD)
- MILL POND (Georgian to Victorian - 1830 AD to 1839 AD)
- None recorded
Clough Mills, Little Hayfield, is a 19th century textile mill in stone with a hipped slate roof. The building is of three, four and five storeys, the windows having hinged casements. There is a square tower at one angle. Originally it was a cotton mill. There are the extensive ruins of an earlier building behind. (1) Photograph collection. (2-3) Clough Mill is an impressive four/five storey gritstone mill building probably dating in part from the 1830s, being one of three mills located on this small tributary of the Sett. The west end has a pitched roof of local stone and would seem to be substantially earlier than the main body of the mill. Winches, notices etc. from cotton mill days remain and the mill is in reasonable condition despite the apparent lack of use. Some of the adjacent housing in Little Hayfield could have been associated with the mill. Formerly the cotton spinning mill of Hibbert and Alcock (1846) although owned by the Slack family. In the tithe award it is described as a 'rough water cotton mill'. It is now apparently used principally for storage of 'Lastite' paints and adhesives . (4) The OS map of 1898 shows a number of buildings and a mill pond. There is also a leat on the east side of the mill, running south from a possible earlier mill pond site which, by 1898, had silted up. (5) The original small water-powered mill built in the 1790s was at the western end and this section of the building is today labelled 'The Wheel House'. (7)
- <1> SDR14534 Index: NDAT. NDAT: 1211.. 1211.
- <2> SDR18970 Photograph: Peak District National Park Authority (PDNPA). Black and white photograph collection. 401.0A-21A, 402.1-10, 441.19, 475.2-3.
- <3> SDR18971 Photograph: Peak District National Park Authority (PDNPA). Slide Collection. 7505.1-37.
- <4> SDR4751 Bibliographic reference: Fowkes, D. 1984. Derbyshire Industrial Archaeology - A Gazetteer of Sites. Part I. Borough of High Peak. p 23.
- <5> SDR18790 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1896-1900. OS County Series, 2nd edition (1st revision), scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile). Sheet V.12, 1898.
- <6> SDR19111 Index: Council for British Archaeology (CBA). CBA Industrial Archaeology Report Card. Clough Mills, Hayfield.
- <7> SDR22140 Bibliographic reference: Fowkes, D (ed.). 2004. Derbyshire Industrial Archaeology: A Gazetteer of Sites, Part I, Borough of High Peak (second edition). pp. 32.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 032 883 (100m by 100m) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||HAYFIELD, HIGH PEAK, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Oct 17 2014 2:58PM