SK 2341 8183. 'Little John's Grave' is on the south side of Hathersage churchyard, opposite to the centre of the south aisle of the church and about 7 ft. from the southern boundary. Hathersage has been the traditional birthplace of the mythological 'Little John' for at least 250 years. The so-called 'grave' was extant in 1685. Addy considers that the head and foot stones were used as a standard perch of 13 1/2 ft for local use. (1)
The grave now has a modern headstone, and is surrounded by low railings. Surveyed at 1/2500. (2)
Church records show that a bow, cap and horn were hanging in the church in the 1400s. The bow was removed to a hall near Sheffield. The site has been under the protection of the Ancient Order of Foresters since 1929. (3)
The Victorian headstone reads 'HERE LIES BURIED LITTLE JOHN THE FRIEND AND LIEUTENANT OF ROBIN HOOD. HE DIED IN A COTTAGE NOW DESTROYED) TO THE EAST OF THE CHURCHYARD. THE GRAVE IS MARKED BY THE OLD HEADSTONE AND FOOTSTONE AND IS UNDERNEATH THE OLD YEW TREE'. (4)
In 1728 Dr Moor of Wakefield found some very large bones in the churchyard.
Article in serial: Addy, S. 1925. 'Little John's Grave and the Lawful Village Perch', Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Volume 1. pp. 206-221, plan.
Personal Observation: F1 JB 10-SEP-65.
Index: Clarke, G. Peak Park Treasures E17. E17.
Article in serial: Derbyshire Archaeological Society. Unknown article on Little John's Grave, in Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Volume 21.
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.