Monument record MDR4224 - Little John's Grave, St Michael's Churchyard, Hathersage
Type and Period (2)
- None recorded
SK 2341 8183. 'Little John's Grave' is on the south side of Hathersage churchyard, opposite to the centre of the south aisle of the church and about 7 ft. from the southern boundary. Hathersage has been the traditional birthplace of the mythological 'Little John' for at least 250 years. The so-called 'grave' was extant in 1685. Addy considers that the head and foot stones were used as a standard perch of 13 1/2 ft for local use. (1) The grave now has a modern headstone, and is surrounded by low railings. Surveyed at 1/2500. (2) Church records show that a bow, cap and horn were hanging in the church in the 1400s. The bow was removed to a hall near Sheffield. The site has been under the protection of the Ancient Order of Foresters since 1929. (3) The Victorian headstone reads 'HERE LIES BURIED LITTLE JOHN THE FRIEND AND LIEUTENANT OF ROBIN HOOD. HE DIED IN A COTTAGE NOW DESTROYED) TO THE EAST OF THE CHURCHYARD. THE GRAVE IS MARKED BY THE OLD HEADSTONE AND FOOTSTONE AND IS UNDERNEATH THE OLD YEW TREE'. (4) In 1728 Dr Moor of Wakefield found some very large bones in the churchyard.
- <1> SDR7816 Article in serial: Addy, S. 1925. 'Little John's Grave and the Lawful Village Perch', Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Volume 1. pp. 206-221, plan.
- <2> SDR6364 Personal Observation: F1 JB 10-SEP-65.
- <3> SDR16469 Index: Clarke, G. Peak Park Treasures E17. E17.
- <5> SDR7888 Article in serial: Derbyshire Archaeological Society. Unknown article on Little John's Grave, in Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Volume 21.
- <6> SDR16528 Index: OS. SK 28 SW 19. SK 28 SW 19.
- <7> SDR16308 Unpublished document: Wilson, J.
- <8> SDR16985 Bibliographic reference: Bateman, T. 1861. Ten Years' Diggings in Celtic and Saxon Grave Hills. p. 251.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 2341 8183 (10m by 10m) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||HATHERSAGE, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jun 5 2018 12:42PM