Monument record MDR4236 - Cairn, Moscar Moor, Outseats
Type and Period (1)
- CAIRN (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
SK 22018446: Barrow, diam, 5.5m, height 30cm, situated 380m north-north-east of the road bridge over Hurst Brook, noted by Mr G A Makepiece in 1959 and thought to be that referred to by S Mitchell in April 1834 as containing 'several rude urns'. (2) 'April 1834. Saw several rude urns found in a tumulus on the Hathersage moor adjoining the boundary of Bamford Common.' (6) '..the urns, .. were filled with burnt bones, but no whole human bones occurred'. (3) Situated at SK 22038446 on a gentle southeast facing slope is a heather covered cairn, diameter 18ft, height 1ft. The interior is slightly hollowed with a few stones evident but otherwise it is in good condition. Surveyed at 1:10560. (4) The attribution of Mitchell's excavation of 1834 to this particular site, out of the many cairns in this vicinity, is unjustified. (11)
- <1> SDR10000 Index: North Derbyshire Archaeological Trust (NDAT). North Derbyshire Archaeological Trust Index. 1638, 3869.
- <2> SDR7336 Index: Preston, F L. 1956. Hunter Archaeological Society Index. Vol. 2.
- <3> SDR2903 Bibliographic reference: Bateman, T. 1848. Vestiges of the Antiquities of Derbyshire. p26,114.
- <4> SDR6421 Bibliographic reference:
- <5> SDR8643 Bibliographic reference: Marsden, B. 1977. The Burial Mounds of Derbyshire. p102.
- <6> SDR16210 Article in serial: Ward, J. 1908. 'Notes on some Derbyshire antiquities from Samuel Mitchell's memoranda', Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Volume 30, pp 155-172. p 172.
- <7> SDR16516 Unpublished document: Mitchell, S.. 26.12.1846. Memoranda. Volume 2.
- <8> SDR15205 Article in serial: Makepeace, G (Hunter Archaeological Society). 1987. 'An archaeological survey of Bamford and Hathersage Outseats, Derbyshire', Trans. Hunter Arch. Soc.. Volume 14, pp 43-55.
- <9> SDR16518 Index: Hart, C.. 1977. Peak Park Treasures B254. B254.
- <10> SDR16424 Article in serial: Barnatt, J. 1986. 'Bronze Age remains on the East Moors of the Peak District', Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Volume 106, pp 18-100.
- <11> SDR2466 Unpublished document: Barnatt, J. 1989. The Peak District Barrow Survey (updated 1994). Site 28:C.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 220 844 (18m by 18m) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||OUTSEATS, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jan 29 2018 2:59PM