Monument record MDR4251 - Tollhouse, Sheffield Road, Hathersage
Type and Period (1)
- TOLL HOUSE (Georgian to Victorian - 1740 AD to 1840 AD)
SK 2373 8112. Single storey 19th century stone cottage tollhouse built by Greenhill Moor & Hathersage Turnpike Trust. It is now unoccupied . (1) Stone built toll bar cottage with studded door. (2) On 1811 amendment of Sheffield-Chapel turnpike. (3) One doorway and two-light mullioned windows, blank window to end elevation. Slate roof and central stack. (5) Located on the A625, which was the former Sheffield-Chapel-en-le-Frith turnpike. (8) SK 23640 81054. A grade II listed former tollhouse dating to the early 19th century. It is built of coursed square gritstone with coped gables and a moulded kneeler. It has a central stone ridge stack with diagonally set ashlar chimneys on chamfered plinths, with moulded caps. It has a stone slated roof, and is of a single storey, two bays, and has two-light chamfer mullioned windows with semi-circular heads, set below hoodmould with stops. The central doorway has a chamfered surround, shallow pointed arched head below hoodmould with stops. It has a planked and studded door. The window joinery dates to the 20th century. The building is associated with the Sheffield to Manchester Turnpike, which was begun in the mid 18th century. (9)
- <1> SDR3837 Bibliographic reference: Council for British Archaeology (CBA). 1975. Panel on Industrial Monuments.
- <2> SDR16461 Index: Care, P. 1973. Peak Park Treasures D69. D69.
- <3> SDR16462 Index: Davies, J (PPJPB). 1983. Peak Park Treasures D69. D69.
- <4> SDR16463 Photograph: PPJPB. Black and White.
- <5> SDR16530 Index: NDAT. 1203. 1203.
- <6> SDR17155 Photograph: PPJPB. Hathersage Toll Cottage.
- <7> SDR19111 Index: Council for British Archaeology (CBA). CBA Industrial Archaeology Report Card. toll house, Hathersage.
- <8> SDR18788 Bibliographic reference: Fowkes, D (ed.). 1997. Derbyshire Industrial Archaeology. A Gazetteer of Sites. Part IV. Derbyshire Dales.
- <9> SDR19551 Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England. NHLE No: 1158950.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 2364 8105 (10m by 8m) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||HATHERSAGE, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Apr 10 2017 3:40PM