Monument record MDR4266 - Cairnfield - probable clearance cairns.
Type and Period (2)
- CAIRNFIELD (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
- CLEARANCE CAIRN (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
SK 203807. A small cairnfield discovered in 1983. There are between 5 and 8 small cairns, with diameters ranging from 2.0 to 4.0 metres. Their sheltered location suggests they could be clearance cairns. (1) Recent opinion would assign some of the Peak cairns a medieval origin. (2) Scheduled (3): interprets as a discrete group of at least 5 cairns forming small cairnfield. This is seen as prehistoric land clearance for settlement and agriculture.
- <1> SDR16424 Article in serial: Barnatt, J. 1986. 'Bronze Age remains on the East Moors of the Peak District', Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Volume 106, pp 18-100. p67 plan.
- <2> SDR15205 Article in serial: Makepeace, G (Hunter Archaeological Society). 1987. 'An archaeological survey of Bamford and Hathersage Outseats, Derbyshire', Trans. Hunter Arch. Soc.. Volume 14, pp 43-55. p43.
- <3> SDR16956 Scheduling record: English Heritage. 1999. Scheduling Notification. Mon No: 31253. Cat. No.: 465.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 203 806 (188m by 138m) (Multiple Site Centre)|
|Civil Parish||OFFERTON, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Oct 16 2013 12:13PM