Monument record MDR4268 - Earthwork feature, Bole Hill Wood, Outseats
Type and Period (3)
- CAIRN (Former Type) (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
- CAIRN (Former Type) (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- NATURAL FEATURE (Unknown date)
- None recorded
SK 222838. Bole Hill Wood cairn, rather mutilated, but showing curb stones around outer edge. Recent opinion would assign some of the Peak cairns a medieval origin. (1) Appears on Barnatt's survey as 28;16. (2) Although located by Makepeace it was not apparent on the ground during Barnatt's survey and he concluded that it may well have been a natural feature as there are several low amorphous mounds within the area. Below these the slopes are precipitous and unlikely locations for barrows. (5)
- <1> SDR15205 Article in serial: Makepeace, G (Hunter Archaeological Society). 1987. 'An archaeological survey of Bamford and Hathersage Outseats, Derbyshire', Trans. Hunter Arch. Soc.. Volume 14, pp 43-55.
- <2> SDR16424 Article in serial: Barnatt, J. 1986. 'Bronze Age remains on the East Moors of the Peak District', Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Volume 106, pp 18-100.
- <3> SDR17271 Index: NDAT. 1637. 1637.
- <4> SDR16523 Unpublished document: Barnatt, J (PDNPA). Descriptive text on monuments in the Peak District.
- <5> SDR2466 Unpublished document: Barnatt, J. 1989. The Peak District Barrow Survey (updated 1994). Site 28:16.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 222 838 (49m by 46m) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||OUTSEATS, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jan 29 2018 3:00PM