Listed Building record MDR4292 - Arleston House Farm, North Side Trent and Mersey Canal, Barrow upon Trent
Type and Period (3)
- HOSPITALLERS PRECEPTORY (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- HOUSE (Medieval to 21st Century - 1300 AD? to 2050 AD)
- MOAT (Medieval - 1066 AD? to 1539 AD?)
Arleston House. An attractive, largely 16th century two storey timber framed house rising from an ashlar ground floor, massively buttressed in seven places. The ground floor is supposedly the remains of a 'camera' of the Preceptory of the Templars at Yeaveley (Stydd Hall). To the north of the house is a moat, formerly the capital messuage of the Bothes of Arleston. The upper floor of the house has plainly undergone some rebuilding in brick, and there is a gabled wing to the south. Three fireplaces have four-centred arched heads and may be refugees from the original mansion. The house passed to the Harpurs in the mid-16th century, who adapted it for younger sons. It was later a tenanted farmhouse, which it has remained to this day. (1) "The church of Barrow-on-Trent (not Barrow in Cheshire, as mistakenly given both in the original and last editions of the Dugdale's 'Monasticon') was bestowed on the Hospitallers by Robert de Bakepuze as early as the reign of Henry II. His son John de Bakepuze confirmed this grant and also gave them land at Barrow which was the origin of this camera.. In 1543 the confiscated property of the preceptory was granted ..to Charles Lord Mountjoy " (2) "I can find no account of any property of the Hospitallers at Barrow, Derbyshire; but at Great Barrow, in Cheshire, Tanner says 'Robert de Bachepuz having given, temp. H.II the church of this place to the Knights Hospitallers .. Here was settled a preceptory of that order ..which with Yeveley in Derbyshire, was valued 26 Hen. VIII ..'. Two entries in 'The Report of Prior Philip de Thame to the Grand Master ..for A.D. 1338' prove that Tanner is wrong, and that it is Barrow in Derbyshire where the Camera of the Hospitallers was and not in Cheshire; for we have a pension paid them from Swarkstone church, which is decidedly in Derbyshire; and here is an entry of annual rent paid to the Bishop of Carlisle, lords of the manor of Barrow in Derbyshire, by grant of Henry II." (3) "We believe that the preceptory house of the Hospitallers was situated at Arleston in [Barrow] parish, where there are extensive foundations of ancient buildings. Here would be the residence of the Bailiff of the camera of Barrow ..which seems to have been subsequently occupied by the farmer of the rectory manor. The substantial stone-built basement of a large hall, some 75 ft. by 21 ft., yet remains, apparently of fourteenth century workmanship, supported by buttresses, and this has at a subsequent date been finished in brick and converted into a farmhouse. But this latter work (though perhaps the earliest part of it may be of late sixteenth century date), is subsequent to the dissolution of the Order". (4) "The Knights Hospitallers had land in Barrow and Arleston; and Dr. Cox is of opinion that the preceptory house ..stood at the latter place. Arleston House bears the appearance of having been built for such a purpose .. Another large building, probably the chapel, formerly stood on the north side of it, but this was taken down some years ago." (5) The house is largely C16 timber-framed with an ashlar ground floor said to be camera of Stydd Hall. The moat only survives in the SW corner unless the earthwork at SK 3350 2985 is also the moat. It was the capital messuage of the Bothers of Arleston. (6) Arleston House Farmhouse is a stone, timber-framed and brick house dating largely from the 17th century. The house is reputed to be on the site of a preceptory of the Knights Hospitallers. The earliest part of the present building is represented by the stonework of the ground floor. On plan, this work does not conform to the timber-framed and brick superstructure and on these grounds may be presumed to predate it. However, the features of the stonework do not indicate a medieval date, being generally too insubstantial for a medieval structure. It may represent re-use of stone, perhaps from the preceptory buildings, in the late 16th or early 17th century in the construction of a building of unknown function and form. In the mid-17th century a timber frame was built over the stone ground floor to provide first-floor rooms and an attic. 18th century alterations to the house include the replacement in brick of the framing on the south wall, the addition of a cellar under the rear wing and the provision of a new stair. (7) It is suggested that the house in its present form is the result of a major rebuilding in c1718, based on a late 16th century design. (8) From the National Heritage List for England: 'PARISH OF BARROW-UPON-TRENT ARLESTON LANE SK 32 NW 3/1 (East Side) 10.11.67 Arleston House Farmhouse (formerly listed under the Parish of Sinfin and Arleston) II Farmhouse. C14, C17 and C18. Coursed squared sandstone, timber framed and red brick. Plain tile roof with brick ridge and gable stacks. Two storeys. The north elevation has a gabled cross wing to the right. The ground floor to the left is of gritstone, with a chamfered plinth and two C20 casement windows. Blocked doorway to right. The first floor has exposed box framing with cement rendered infill. A small 2-light casement to left and a large C20 casement to right. The cross wing to the right has a stone plinth and rendered ground floor, with box framing above. Segment headed doorway flanked by 2-light casements. Later single storey brick range to right has two doorways under flat arches, a 2-light casement and a 3-light C20 casement. The south elevation has a sandstone ground floor of medieval character, with eight buttresses, the outer ones paired, each with three set-offs. Central doorway with a stone lintel and a C20 glazed door and overlight. Segmental arch of a blocked doorway to right. To the left are two wooden cross windows under segmental arches. Two similar windows to the right, a further one with a C20 casement. The first floor of red brick has three C18 wooden cross windows under flat arches and one similar window with a C20 casement. Arleston House is supposed to incorporate remains of the Preceptory of Yeaveley and Barrow established by the Knights Hospitallers in the C13. Listing NGR: SK3369729639.' (9)
- <1> SDR4305 Bibliographic reference: Craven, M & Stanley, M. 1982. The Derbyshire Country House, Volume I. p88.
- <2> SDR15983 Bibliographic reference: V.C.H. Derby Vol 2 1907 76-77 (J.C.Cox).
- <3> SDR3703 Bibliographic reference: Larking, L B. 1857. 'The Knights Hospitallers in England', Camden Society 65. p 233.
- <4> SDR11672 Bibliographic reference: Cox, J C. 1879. Notes on the Churches of Derbyshire, Vol IV. pp 17-18.
- <5> SDR3507 Bibliographic reference: Bulmer, T and Co.. 1895. History, Topography and Directory of Derbyshire. p706-7.
- <6> SDR15027 Index: TPAT. 2585. 2585.
- <7> SDR20202 Unpublished document: RCHME (Royal Commission on the Historic Monuments of England). 1991. Historic Building Report: Arleston House farmhouse, Arleston Lane, Barrow-upon-Trent, Derbyshire. SMR Doc. No. 686.
- <8> SDR19784 Unpublished document: Hutton, B. Derby Buildings Record. DBR 97, 12th December 1991.
- <9> SDR19551 Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England. https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1096557.
|Grid reference||SK 33697 29639 (point) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||BARROW UPON TRENT, SOUTH DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (3)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Nov 12 2018 1:40PM