Site record MDR4293 - Priory of the Holy Trinity (remains of), Repton
Type and Period (2)
- AUGUSTINIAN MONASTERY (Medieval to Tudor - 1160 AD to 1538 AD)
- SCHOOL (Elizabethan to 21st Century - 1559 AD to 2050 AD)
- None recorded
[SK 30362716] Repton School. On remains of Priory [G.T.] (Augustinian) (1) The large Augustinian priory at Repton was founded c.1153-60 and dissolved in 1538 (2) The buildings of Repton School, founded in 1557, incorporate remains of the priory. Grade I. The ground floor of the school is the old undercroft and has a heavy open-timbered ceiling supported on columns of 12th century date, the rest of the building being of 16th/17th century date. Structural remains of the Priory church, cloister and slype, consisting of miscellaneous lengths of walling, bases of pillars and other features were uncovered in the restoration of 1922. The wide gateway forming the main entrance to the school was part of the gatehouse and is said to date to c.1250. The priory precinct walls of ashlar almost encircle the site, restored and altered in places. (3) The priory was dedicated to the Holy Trinity (4) Information of authy 3 correct. GPs AO/62/39/1 :- 1 Rems of Priory Ch from NE 2 Rems of Priory exposed pillar bases from N 3 Rems of Priory Slype & Ch Ho doorways from NW 4 E Doorway of cloister, Cloister behind from SE 5 Undercroft of Priory Rems 12-17th c inc. from S 6 16-17th c Schoolhouse from SW 7 Prior Overton's Tower (15th c brickwork) from NW 8 13th c gateway from S Prior Overton's Tower is situated at SK 30322726 (5) No change. (6) The Priory Gateway, Precinct walls, the Tithe Barn and the Lodge. Repton School (formerly listed as two items), Grade I. Medieval with later alterations and 1896. See list for full description. (7) Sometime between 1153 and 1159 Matilda (sometimes called Maud), the widow of Ranulph, the 4th Earl, granted a quarry at Repton and the advowson of the parish church there to Calke Priory on condition that they should move to Repton at the first suitable opportunity, presumably once the Repton buildings were completed. Traditionally this move is said to have taken place in 1172, although there appears to be no certainty of this; however it seems to be generally accepted that by that date the prior and canons of the Holy Trinity of Repton were established there, with the prior and convent at Calke having ceased to exist as an autonomous body, continuing only as a cell of Repton. The priory buildings appear to have been placed very close to the existing church, occupying the eastern half of the great cemetery of the minster church as well as the site of a Norman castle which had been levelled, with at least some of the new buildings being erected over the area. The ground plan of the priory is generally well known, partly as a result of the survival of some parts of the buildings in Repton School, and partly as the result of excavations over the years. It follows the usual monastic plan of church and adjacent cloister, although at Repton the cloister was on the north side of the church rather than the south. The known ground plan of the church itself is not that of the original but of later rebuilds. The canons’ cemetery would have been situated to the east and north-east of the main priory complex; other buildings such as the infirmary and reredorter were probably also to the north-east, while a gatehouse and outbuildings lay to the south-west. The whole precinct was surrounded by a wall. The Priory was surrendered in 1538 and was granted to Thomas Thacker. While some parts of the Priory buildings were retained, others were dismantled as a source for stone or timber. In 1559 the priory buildings, with the exception of the Prior's Lodge and the gatehouse, were sold for use as a school. Repton School continues on the site today. Records of priory foundations and graves being encountered during works carried out at the school go back to at least the 18th century, with the most recent excavations having been in the War Memorial Cloister in 1987. (9)
- --- SDR24579 Article in serial: Biddle, M. 1993. The Repton Arch and The Tithe Barn.
- <1> SDR11754 Map: O.S. 6" 19.
- <2> SDR93 Bibliographic reference: Knowles, D & Hadcock, R. 1953. Medieval Religious Houses of England and Wales. p151.
- <3> SDR8410 Bibliographic reference: M.H.L.G. (Repton R.D.) 2320.11./A., Oct 1960 26-8.
- <4> SDR15982 Bibliographic reference: V.C.H. Derby Vol 2 1907 58-63.
- <5> SDR6088 Personal Observation: F1 BHS 13-APR-62.
- <6> SDR6619 Bibliographic reference: F2 JB 26-JUL-66.
- <7> SDR5372 Bibliographic reference: DOE Listed Bldgs. Dist of South Derbyshire Derby 24 Oct 1986 57-63.
- <8> SDR15000 Index: TPAT. 2024. 2024.
- <9> SDR20237 Unpublished document: Stroud, G. 1999. Extensive Urban Survey: Repton. Archaeological Assessment Report..
|Grid reference||Centred SK 3040 2721 (261m by 362m) Centre|
|Civil Parish||REPTON, SOUTH DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (8)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Aug 18 2022 9:59PM