Monument record MDR4296 - Deserted medieval village site, Arleston, Barrow upon Trent
Type and Period (5)
- DESERTED SETTLEMENT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- RIDGE AND FURROW (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- HOLLOW WAY (Medieval to Post Medieval - 1066 AD to 1900 AD)
- BOUNDARY DITCH (Medieval to Post Medieval - 1066 AD to 1900 AD)
- DITCH (Medieval to Post Medieval - 1066 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
[SK 335 297] The lost village of Arleston is now no more than a farm. (1) Arleston consisted of two manors prior to the Conquest, the lords being Colgrim and Ravenkel. In 1086 Arleston, written as "Erlestune" in Domesday Book, was part of the estates of Henry de Ferrers, with 7 villagers being recorded. (2) Signs of disturbance are visible on aerial photographs at SK 335 298 but this may be due to surface quarrying. (3-5) Area under crop, but the farmer recalls that at each ploughing building material comes to the surface in a field at SK 33502970. (6) The undulating arable land surrounding Arleston House Farm, was perambulated after recent ploughing. A light scatter of roughly faced building stones spreads over an area of some five acres, centred SK 33512977; nothing else of interest was seen or found. (7) Destruction of the site by ploughing was reported by Dr. P. Strange in c.1968. (8) Ridge and furrow abutting the Trent & Mersery Canal to the south of the possible DMV site; transcribed at a scale of 1:10,000. (9) Medieval/post-medieval boundary ditches, other ditches and a hollow way were identified as earthworks and cropmarks within this area on aerial photographs dating to between 1970 and 1995. Medieval ridge and furrow earthworks were also identified. (10)
- <1> SDR375 Bibliographic reference: 'Lost Villages of England' 1954 346 (M Beresford).
- <2> SDR18516 Bibliographic reference: Wood, S (translator). 1978. Domesday Book: Derbyshire (Phillimore edition).
- <3> SDR771 Aerial Photograph: 1950. A.P's 541.445.4141-3, 1.3.50.
- <4> SDR1407 Aerial Photograph: APs (J Pickering SK2018/3 4 (JK St Joseph VW50 AFY22 YL90).
- <5> SDR1012 Aerial Photograph: St Joseph, J K. J K St Joseph SC/95.
- <6> SDR6395 Personal Observation: F1 JB 26-JUL-66.
- <7> SDR6582 Personal Observation: F2 FRH 02-OCT-67.
- <8> SDR5046 Article in serial: DMV Res Gp Annual Rep 16 1968.
- <9> SDR1127 Archive: Whiteley, S. 1989. Aerial Photographic Transcripton Project.
- <10> SDR21002 Digital data: Archaeological Research Services (ARS) Ltd. 2009/2010. Aerial Photographic Mapping Survey carried out as part of an Aggregates Resource Project.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 335 297 (100m by 100m) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||BARROW UPON TRENT, SOUTH DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Dec 16 2015 4:53PM