Monument record MDR4297 - Tile kiln, Repton
Type and Period (1)
- TILE KILN (Medieval - 1300 AD to 1400 AD)
- None recorded
A 14th century tile kiln was discovered in 1866 in levelling the Upper Paddock, Repton School, within the "Old Abbey Wall". It was returfed during the 1890s. (1-2) The upper paddock is at SK 30382711 and the tiles from the kiln are incorporated in the north wall of the undercroft. (3) The tiles from Repton are second only in importance in Derbyshire to those from Dale Abbey. Many of the Repton tiles were found in 1868, associated with one of the most perfect medieval kilns hitherto unearthed in England. The kiln was found in the 'Paddock', a field within the site of the priory precincts. It consisted of two oblong vaults, side by side, each seven feet six inches long, two feet six inches wide and about one foot ten inches in height. The roofs, which were evidently flat, were supported by a series of arched ribs, constructed of tiles specially shaped for the purpose. The brickwork of the interior was much vitrified and from the presence of charcoal it may be concluded that that substance was the fuel used. The tiles, of which there were several hundreds within the kin, were ready stacked for burning. In addition, numerous broken and spoiled specimens were found, chiefly in the soil above the kiln. (4)
- <1> SDR542 Article in serial: Pears, S A. 1868. 'On the discovery of a tile kiln at Repton, Derbyshire', The Reliquary. Volume 8, pp 129-130, illus..
- <2> SDR173 Bibliographic reference: Macdonald, A. 1929. A Short History of Repton. pp 61, 179.
- <3> SDR6395 Personal Observation: F1 JB 26-JUL-66.
- <4> SDR16160 Article in serial: Ward, J. 1892. 'Notes on the medieval pavements and wall tiles of Derbyshire', Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Volume 14, pp 119-140. pp 121-122.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 3038 2711 (10m by 10m) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||REPTON, SOUTH DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Sep 15 2016 4:45PM