Site record MDR4304 - Potlock House (site of), Willington
Type and Period (3)
- MOAT ? (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- MANOR HOUSE (Medieval to Georgian - 1100 AD to 1800 AD)
- FARMHOUSE (Georgian to Victorian - 1800 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
Moat at Potlock near Willington. (1) Potlock House is mid 18th century; there are slight amorphous earthworks at SK 31302873 but there is no indication of a moat. (2) Early members of the house of Toke/Touchamps were seated at Potlock. Shortly afterwards this estate seems to have passed to his kinsman John de Finderne, and to have become their chief seat, rather than Findern Manor House. A chapel dedicated to St Leonard was attached to it under the Tokes but was dissolved at the time of the Reformation. It has been suggested that the Findern Flower legend should be identified with this house rather than with Findern Manor House. The house at Potlock lasted until c. 1800 when it was demolished by John Glover, who built the present Potlock House, now under threat from gravel extraction. The house became surplus to requirements after the Finderne heiress carried the family estates to the Harpurs in 1558. Potlock was no doubt tenanted and later sold to the Burdetts and later still to Glover, who replaced it with the present very pretty farmhouse. (3, 4)
- <1> SDR3507 Bibliographic reference: Bulmer, T and Co.. 1895. History, Topography and Directory of Derbyshire. p 20.
- <2> SDR6285 Personal Observation: F1 FDC 29-SEP-66.
- <3> SDR20573 Article in serial: Craven, M. 1983. 'Sir Geoffrey de Finderne and his flower', Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Volume 103, pp 91-97.
- <4> SDR18913 Bibliographic reference: Craven, M & Stanley, M. 1984. The Derbyshire Country House, Vol II.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 3132 2874 (91m by 70m) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||WILLINGTON, SOUTH DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jul 17 2020 7:32PM