Skip to main content

Listed Building record MDR4307 - Church of St Andrew, Church Lane, Twyford and Stenson

Type and Period (1)

  • (Medieval to 21st Century - 1100 AD? to 2050 AD)

Protected Status/Designation

Full Description

Church of St Andrew, Church Lane, Twyford and Stenson, originally a 12th century building. 'Little is known of the ecclesiastical history of Twyford. It appears to have been from the earliest date a parochial chapelry of Barrow, with rights of baptism and burial attached to it, but the priest who served there was merely a chaplain or curate appointed by the vicar of Barrow. The church of chapel, which is dedicated to St. Andrew, has a 'bold' Norman chancel arch, with chevron moulding. There are 13th century windows in the tower and Decorated work elsewhere. The nave is 18th century, of brick faced with stone.' (1) 'The church is being restored, and worship will recommence in the autumn of this year [1966].' (2) 'St Andrew's Church, Twyford. A small medieval church with an 18th century red-brick faced nave, a chancel with a Norman arch, and a 14th century tower with a spire recessed behind battlements. Grade B.' (3-4) 'Church of St Andrew. Parish church. 12th, 13th, 14th and early 18th century. Tower repaired 1821. Restoration 1910. Grade I.' (5) The bells of St Andrews are of historical significance. One bell dating to circa 1550 was made by a Leicester foundary and another dating to circa 1590 was made by D Hand and G Lees of Nottingham. (6) From the National Heirtage List for England: 'SK 32 NW 3/102 PARISH OF TWYFORD AND STENSON TWYFORD CHURCH LANE (north side) Church of St Andrew 19.1.67 GV I Parish church. C12, C13, C14 and early C18. Tower repaired 1821. Restoration 1910. Coursed squared sandstone and red brick with sandstone dressings. Lead roofs. West tower, nave and chancel. West tower of three stages divided by chamfers. The lowest stage forms a tall plinth. The next stage has a single roughly cut lancet to each side except the east. Two-light bell openings to each side with a flat arch and Dec tracery. On the south side is an intermediate rectangular louvred opening. Moulded cornice and battlemented parapet. Short octagonal stone spire with one tier of lucarnes. The nave was rebuilt in the C18 using medieval masonry on the inside and brick on the outside. Stone plinth and stone coped parapets. Stone quoins; to south. To the north are two round-arched windows with stone surrounds, key and impost blocks. The south side has two similar windows and to the left a round-arched doorway with similar moulded surround with key and impost blocks. C19 plank doors. The nave windows are of cast iron with leaded lights. The chancel south has a two-light Dec window under a square head, with tracery similar to the bell openings of the tower. To the right a plain unmoulded pointed arched priests doorway with C20 plank door and a three-light Dec window with cusped lights, mouchettes and a reticulation unit. The east end of the chancel has diagonal buttresses and a three-light window with reticulated tracery, partly renewed. The north side of the chancel has one two-light window of two plain arched lights under a flat head, possibly C16. To the right a buttress. Chamfered string course above the windows on the north and south sides. INTERIOR: plain pointed tower arch with impost blocks. C12 chancel arch, round-arched with zigzag ornament. Colonnettes with elementary capitals and bases. Remains of dogtooth moulding on the imposts. Above the chancel arch are traces of painted scenes. The chancel has a single purlin roof with cambered tie beam. In the north wall a tomb slab with plain inscription to George Harpur +1658. Brass inscription plate set in, to Anna his wife +1688. Early C18 communion rails with heavy turned balusters. On the south side of the chancel is a brass tablet in the shape of a shield, to Simon Bristowe and others, late C17. On the north wall a defaced tablet to a Harpur Crewe, c1700. Stained glass in the east window of 1906 by T Dudley Forsyth of London. Pair of single tier brass chandeliers. Carved C19 octagonal font. Listing NGR: SK3274428552 This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Register. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 10 April 2017..' (8)

Sources/Archives (8)

  • <1> Bibliographic reference: Cox, J C. 1879. Notes on the Churches of Derbyshire, Vol IV. 28-30.
  • <2> Personal Observation: F1 JB 26-JUL-66.
  • <3> Bibliographic reference: Department of the Environment. 1960. DOE (HHR) Repton Road, Derby.
  • <4> Bibliographic reference: Pevsner, N. 1979. The Buildings of England: Derbyshire. 2nd ed., revised. 347.
  • <5> Bibliographic reference: 1986. DOE Listed Buildings, District of South Derbyshire.
  • <6> Unpublished document: Church of England. 2007. Identification of bells and bell frames of historic significance.
  • <7> Index: Trent & Peak Archaeological Trust (TPAT). Trent & Peak Archaeological Trust Index: 2566. 2566.
  • <8> Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England.



Grid reference SK 32741 28551 (point)

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (0)

External Links (0)

Record last edited

Feb 28 2024 1:33PM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.