Monument record MDR4312 - Circular cropmarks south of Sealey Close, Willington
Type and Period (3)
- HENGE ENCLOSURE ? (Neolithic - 4000 BC? to 2351 BC?)
- RING DITCH (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
- TRACKWAY (Late Prehistoric - 4000 BC to 42 AD)
- None recorded
Cropmarks of two ring ditches were identified from aerial photographs at SK 305 282. (1) Site under crop, no visual remains . (2) Cropmarks at Willington (SK 304 282) were photographed from the air by Mr J Pickering (Film 40, 9.9a; 10.10a; 11.11a). They consisted of a single ring ditch, a double ring ditch, a ring ditch with possibly a central pit, and two small ring ditches. (3) The cropmarks have been plotted on a map overlay at a scale of 1:10,000. (4) The area was included in an aerial photographic assessment of the Willington Power Station site. Five circular features were identified, arranged in an approximate line. All may represent Bronze age burials although an irregular ditched circle at SK 30532826 may be of earlier date. (5) Feature identified from aerial photographs taken in June 1995. (6)
- <1> SDR1384 Aerial Photograph: AP:J.K. St. Joseph:ABB 65.
- <2> SDR6395 Personal Observation: F1 JB 26-JUL-66.
- <3> SDR5840 Bibliographic reference: 1974. East Midland Archaeological Bulletin, No. 10. p 5.
- <4> SDR1127 Archive: Whiteley, S. 1989. Aerial Photographic Transcripton Project.
- <5> SDR20677 Unpublished document: Palmer, R (Air Photo Services). 2004. Willington Power Station, Area Centred SK3129, Derbyshire: Aerial Photographic Assessment. p 6; Figure 4.
- <6> SDR21002 Digital data: Archaeological Research Services (ARS) Ltd. 2009/2010. Aerial Photographic Mapping Survey carried out as part of an Aggregates Resource Project.
- <7> SDR23962 Aerial Photograph: Google. Google Earth. Date of photograph: 2010-12-31.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 30504 28306 (295m by 167m) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||WILLINGTON, SOUTH DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Oct 10 2017 11:50AM