Skip to main content

Site record MDR4350 - Post-medieval parkland and gardens, Foremark Hall

Type and Period (2)

  • (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • (Georgian to Victorian - 1750 AD? to 1900 AD)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Full Description

Centred SK3355 2620: Parkland associated with Foremark Hall, identified from historical Ordnance Survey mapping. The main area of parkland associated with the hall is known as the Bendalls; extent shown as parkland stipple. Fish pond at SK3328 2673. (1-3) The park at Foremark Hall is believed to have been landscaped for the Burdetts by William Emes in the 1780s, following the completion of their new hall in 1761. However, there was a previous house and park, as the former is described by Woolley [in the early 18th century] as 'large and convenient with a large well-wooded park and coney warren adjoining'. The Hall and immediate surroundings were described in 1790 as 'of vile architecture and in a bad situation; in front there is a paltry pond with pitiful plantations'. In 1910-11 William Barron & Sons laid out new gardens on the south side of the house. (4) 18th century park laid out for the Burdett family. Kitchen garden and walls, vine houses, potting sheds, stables and garden house, mid- and late 18th century, with additions c. 1900. (5) A description of 1771 includes the following: '[Foremark Hall] commands an extensive prospect over the vale through which the Trent runs; and being well united with some fine woods, has a good effect. The back front … looks on some hanging hills crowned by distant plantations; some of them are young, but in a few years will shew themselves to great advantage…The pleasure ground (which is not yet completed) is very beautiful. A winding walk leads from the house through a wood of very fine oaks, down a falling valley to the banks of the Trent, and turns up a cliff of rock and wood, which is one of the greatest curiosities in this country … the walk is to be conducted along the edge of the precipice .. It is to run quite through this woody precipice, and leading along a vale at the end of it thickly planted; will then mount a bold hill free of rocks, and wind thro' a plantation thick enough to exclude the view of the river, &c., until it arrives at the summit, which is a very fine projection here it will open at once from the dark wood into a temple, instantly commanding, as by enchantment, one of the richest views in the world… from hence, the plantations unit with others that conduct you again to the house.' (6) [It is not clear whether this walk, and the temple, were ever completed.] In 1802, the grounds of Foremark Hall were described as follows: 'A pleasant secluded walk, between two rows of aged oaks, runs from the east end of the house, and is skirted on the north side by a close thicket of underwood, interspersed with willows, ash, and oak trees, through the intervals of which the prospect of an irregularly rising lawn is admitted, pleasingly varied by scattered oaks, thorns and beeches; and bounded by plantations. But the most striking ornament of the grounds is a grove of majestic oaks, which extends from the vicinity of the house to a piece of water at some distance, opposite the north front. Were the dimensions of this pellucid sheet somewhat more enlarged, it would become a very interesting feature in the scenery; but it is at present too diminutive; and, except from the walk in the grove, where its boundaries are not visible, conveys an idea of insignificance rather than grandeur. Beyond the grove, the land declines northward to the rich meadows watered by the Trent….' (7) Description of the surroundings of the Hall in 1839: 'In the kitchen-garden is a new range of plant houses, the framework of which is of iron, and the heating effected by hot water. In the park, in front of the house, is an oak tree upwards of 60 ft high, with a trunk 18 ins in diameter, and the branches covering a space of 50 ft in diameter, which sprang from an acorn planted by the present proprietor when an infant. We have seldom seen a place better adapted for floricultural display on the lawn front, but nothing of the kind is attempted. There are a number of mutilated aged oaks and elms near the house, mixed with numerous old yews and large hollies; the oaks, we were told, were mutilated by a steward from economical motives.' (8) The presence of ridge and furrow, identified from aerial photographs, within the area of the park indicates that the land had previously formed part of open arable fields before being emparked. (9)

Sources/Archives (9)

  • <1> Map: 1924. OS County Series 1:10560, sheet LVII NE. Edn of 1924, revised 1920.
  • <2> Map: 1978. OS 1:10000.
  • <3> Index: RCHME Boutwood, Y.. 1993. National Forest Project.
  • <4> Bibliographic reference: Craven, M & Stanley, M. 1991. The Derbyshire Country House. pp 90-92.
  • <5> Archive: Horton, N. 1991. Unpublished notes on locally important parks and gardens.
  • <6> Bibliographic reference: Young, A. 1771. The Farmer's Tour through the East of England. pp 178-182.
  • <7> Bibliographic reference: Britten, J & Brayley, E. 1802. Beauties of England and Wales. Vol. III. pp 398-401, illust..
  • <8> Article in serial: 'The Conductor'. 1839. 'Recollections of a Tour chiefly between London & Sheffield made .. May, 1839', The Gardener's Magazine. p 450.
  • <9> Archive: Whiteley, S. 1989. Aerial Photographic Transcripton Project.



Grid reference Centred SK 3358 2612 (981m by 1579m) (Multiple Site Centre)

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (1)

  • EDR3946

Please contact the HER for details.

External Links (0)

Record last edited

Dec 8 2020 12:34PM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.