Building record MDR4372 - Holy Well, Ward's Lane, King's Newton, Melbourne
Type and Period (1)
- HOLY WELL (Stuart to 21st Century - 1660 AD? to 2050 AD)
- None recorded
'The Holy Well is charmingly situated at the west of the village, in a retired little spot on the wayside below the cross-roads at the 'Pack Horse' and not far from the Hall. The water, of which it at all seasons contains an abundant supply, is pure and beautifully clear. It has a stone arch erected in 1666 [sic - the engraving accompanying the article shows the date 1660] by Robert Hardinge.' (1) This well was 'demolished by vandals, 1952.' (2) A few dressed stone blocks and a modern drain marked the site of this former well at SK 3857 2629, in 1962. (3) Site of an ancient holy well on a packhorse route. It originally had a stone arch constructed in 1660, bearing the words 'FONS SACER HIC STRVITVR ROBERTO NOMINUS HARDINGE 1662.' It was restored again c1910. In 1972 the site was described as being in a bad condition and used a rubbish dump and playground for children. By 1986 the site had been restored (please see linked photographs). (6)
- <1> SDR15288 Article in serial: Briggs, J J. 1860-1. 'Memorials of King's Newton village, and its old hall', The Reliquary. Volume 1, pp 12-20.
- <2> SDR4118 Unpublished document: F.W. Munslow. 1958. 14.2.58.
- <3> SDR6088 Personal Observation: F1 BHS 13-APR-62.
- <4> SDR18918 Unpublished document: County Treasure Recording Form. 13.1.
|Grid reference||SK 3857 2628 (point) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||MELBOURNE, SOUTH DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Oct 29 2018 12:13PM