Monument record MDR4373 - Market Cross (remains of), King's Newton
Type and Period (2)
- MARKET CROSS (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- COMMEMORATIVE MONUMENT (Mid 20th Century - 1936 AD to 1938 AD)
[SK 3906 2622] CROSS [G.T.] (1) Only the steps remain of the village cross at King's Newton. The head of the cross, late 13th or early 14th century work, is in Melbourne church. The steps support a cross erected in 1938 to commemorate the accession of King Edward VIII in 1936. Grade 2. (2-4) Published survey (25") correct. The cross head of lantern type stands on a corbel above the north transept altar. (5) In the 1860s a 'majestic tree' was growing from the steps. The original cross head was found in a well 'not many years ago', and was considered by Briggs to be either 13th or early 14th century. (7) The crossroads at the centre of King's Newton is presumably the site of the weekly market granted in 1231. The steps of the market cross still remain. The head of a cross, found in a nearby well in the 19th century, probably belonged to it, but the association cannot be proven. It is now in the north transept of the parish church. The cross steps are now surmounted by a cross erected to commemorate the accession to the throne of Edward VIII in 1936, having previously acted as a kerb for a large lime tree, said to have been planted by Thomas Scott of King's Newton around 1780. (8)
- <1> SDR11765 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1955. 6".
- <2> SDR7489 Article in serial: Tudor, T. 1916. 'The village cross of King's Newton', Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Volume 38, pp 131-4.
- <3> SDR397 Bibliographic reference: Jacques, A S. 1933. Melbourne. p. 118.
- <4> SDR8404 Bibliographic reference: M.H.L.G. 2362/11.A Dec.1960,20.
- <5> SDR6085 Personal Observation: F1 BHS 12-JUL-66.
- <6> SDR14994 Index: TPAT. 2195. 2195.
- <7> SDR15288 Article in serial: Briggs, J J. 1860-1. 'Memorials of King's Newton village, and its old hall', The Reliquary. Volume 1, pp 12-20. pp. 13-14.
- <8> SDR20191 Bibliographic reference: Heath, P. 2005. Conservation Area Histories: King's Newton, District of South Derbyshire.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 3906 2622 (4m by 3m) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||MELBOURNE, SOUTH DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Nov 6 2017 10:59AM