Skip to main content

Listed Building record MDR4381 - The Hall, Main Street, King's Newton, Melbourne

Type and Period (1)

  • (Post Medieval to 21st Century - 1540 AD to 2050 AD)

Protected Status/Designation

Full Description

[SK 3881 2624] The Hall [G.T.] (1) The Old Hall at King's Newton, Melbourne, was erected about 1400 by a member of the Hardinge family. Charles II is known to have visited the hall. It was sold to the Coke family and leased out, being occupied successively by 'many individuals of high respectability'. However a fire broke out during the night of April 17 1859 and left the building a complete wreck. The fire commenced in the dining room, ascended to the room over it where King Charles left his inscription, then to the roof. Source 2 shows two views of the hall, one engraved from a sketch made only a fortnight before the fire, the other from a sketch of the ruins in 1860. (2, 3) The main fabric of the Hall is 19th century. Earlier stonework is incorporated in the foundations, where blocked cellar heads are visible. The owner stated that the cellar pre-dated the main structure but could offer no precise date. GP A0/62/40/4 - aspect from the north-west. (3) King's Newton Hall, a two-storeyed, H-plan, stone house with an attic, was restored in 1910 after being burnt down in 1859. Although the house bears the date of 1560, Pevsner says it is 17th century. Grade 2*. (5, 6) A handsome house originally put up in the late 16th or early 17th century, but seriously gutted by fire in 1859 and sensitively restored after 51 years. Two storeys and attics, projecting gables and mullioned and transomed windows, with a modern recessed porch with a four-centred arch and dormers in the roof. There is a sundial over the first floor window on the right wing. Modern datestones give the years 1560 and 1910, of which the first is probably optimistically early. (8) The house has two projecting wings flanking the entrance porch with pointed gables, twisted chimneys and mullioned and transomed windows. Once the site of the Hardinge's residence, fire destroyed the Elizabethan hall early in the morning of Sunday, April 17th, 1859, where the details are clearly remembered in the village. There were only a few servants in the village at the time. The tenant, Robert Green, was with his family on a visit to Hastings, The owner, Lady Palmerston, was with her husband at Tiverton. After the fire, the hall was left as a roofless shell. It remained this way for the next half century; the grounds were let to a market gardener and the ivy clad ruins were popular with picknickers. Lt. Col. Sir Cecil Walter Paget bought the estate in 1910 and produced an exact replica of the old house. The front door opens into a spacious hall, running parallel to the front of the house in the early Tudor manner and the reception rooms lead off the hall with a stone fireplace. The cellars under the house survived the fire and may well date from the Hardinge's pre-Elizabethan manor; outside as well, the stables, garden clock and several garden walls are all garden features that survived the fire. (9)

Sources/Archives (10)

  • <1> Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 6".
  • <2> Article in serial: Briggs, J J. 1860-1. 'Memorials of King's Newton village, and its old hall', The Reliquary. Volume 1, pp 12-20.
  • <3> Bibliographic reference: Jacques, A. 1933. Melbourne. 118-9.
  • <4> Personal Observation: F1 BHS 13-APR-62.
  • <5> Personal Observation: F2 BHS 27-JUN-66.
  • <6> Bibliographic reference: Department of the Environment. 1960. DOE (HHR) South East Derby, RD, December 1960.
  • <7> Bibliographic reference: Pevsner, N. 1979. The Buildings of England: Derbyshire. 2nd ed., revised. p259.
  • <8> Index: Trent & Peak Archaeological Trust (TPAT). Trent & Peak Archaeological Trust Index: 2196. 2196.
  • <9> Bibliographic reference: Craven, M & Stanley, M. 1984. The Derbyshire Country House, Vol II. p 43.
  • <9> Article in serial: Christian, R. 1964. 'Derbyshire's other stately homes, King's Newton Hall', Derbyshire Life and Countryside. December.



Grid reference Centred SK 3880 2620 (32m by 32m) Centre

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (2)

  • EDR1051
  • EDR1436

Please contact the HER for details.

External Links (0)

Record last edited

Jan 27 2024 1:20AM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.