Building record MDR4383 - St Michael's Church, Stanton by Bridge
Type and Period (1)
- PARISH CHURCH (Saxon to Victorian - 410 AD to 1865 AD)
Possibly pre-Norman church. Chancel rebuilt in c. 1275 and nave at the beginning of the 14th century. Long and short quoins at the south-east corner of the nave and east corner of the chancel suggests a Saxon date, and the plain chancel arch is probably Saxon. (1-2) St Michael's Church. Small and low, with a 19th century bellcote. Interesting Saxon remains, especially the long-and-short work at the south-east angle. Norman south doorway (one order of colonnettes and zigzag in the arch), Norman west window and wall, Norman chancel arch. The rest is later 13th century, see the chancel south window (bar tracery with quatrefoil in circle) and the north aisle windows. The arcade inside is of three bays, low, with octagonal piers and double-chamfered arches. Monuments in the church include a recess with the effigy of a priest, c. 1400, an incised alabaster slab to William Sacheverell, died 1558 and a separate slab with kneeling children. There is also a second badly preserved incised alabaster slab to Richard Francis, died 1530. (4) A grade I listed parish church of 11th, 12th and 13th century date, partly rebuilt in 1682 by Augustine Jackson, the rector, and restored in 1865. It is built of rubble stone with quoins, except the north aisle, which is of ashlar. It has steeply-pitched plain tile roofs with crested ridge tiles, lapped stone copings to the gables, ridge crosses, and a gabled 19th century stone bellcote to the west gable. It comprises nave with north aisle, south porch and lower chancel. The interior is simple with a 13th century three-bay north arcade of double chamfered arches on octagonal piers with moulded capitals and bases. The 12th century semi-circular headed chancel arch looks rebuilt. The roofs are all 19th century, with arched brace trusses to the nave and scissor trusses to the chancel. See list description for more details. (6) The fabirc of the church includes some Anglo-Saxon long and short work at the south-east angle, but this is unconvincing. There is the inevitable Norman south doorway with one order of colonettes and zigzagging and a Norman west window, contemporary wall and chancel arch. The remainder is 13th century. Although probably of early 11th century date, the church does not appear in Domesday, as Stanton, together with Chellaston and Swarkestone, belonged to the mother church of Melbourne. The source of the local Namurian sandstone is the quarries at Stanton immediately east and west of the southern end of the causeway. Although outcrops exist to the west and north-west of the church, these are now completely surrounded by agricultural land and any trace of quarrying has been lost. (7)
- <1> SDR7514 Article in serial: Fraser, W. 1951. 'The Derbyshire Trent and its Early Churches', Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Volume 71. p 103.
- <2> SDR11676 Bibliographic reference: Cox, J C. 1877. Notes on the Churches of Derbyshire, Vol. III. pp 468-9.
- <3> SDR485 Bibliographic reference: G.B.Brown. 1925. The Arts in Early England, Vol 2. p 479.
- <4> SDR12891 Bibliographic reference: Pevsner, N. 1979. The Buildings of England: Derbyshire. 2nd ed., revised. pp 324-5.
- <5> SDR15167 Bibliographic reference: Taylor, H M and Taylor, J. 1965. Anglo-Saxon Architecture. pp 568-9.
- <6> SDR19551 Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England. Original UID: 83213.
- <7> SDR23342 Bibliographic reference: Stanley, M. 1990. Carved in bright stone: sources of building stone in Derbyshire.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 3673 2714 (22m by 15m) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||STANTON BY BRIDGE, SOUTH DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Apr 27 2015 12:16PM