Foremark and Ingleby [also see SMR 20001] are both mentioned as chapels of Repton in the confirmation charters of 1271 and 1279. In 1650, the report of the Parliamentary Commissioners indicated that the Foremark chapel was to made a parish church, and the Ingleby chapel was to be disused. In 1662, a new church was consecrated at Foremark by Bishop Hackett. In the preliminary recital, Henry Archbold, diocesan registrar, addressed the Bishop with the details of this new consecration. He announced that the inhabitants of Foremark and Ingleby had formerly each had a chapel of ease, owing to the distance from the mother church. He described how the present chapel of Ingleby was so ruinous that it was not fit for use, but the inhabitants were too poor to pay for repairs; and also that the Foremark chapel was so utterly ruined that they were left without a place to worship. In addition, neither chapel had the right of burial; and so it was proposed that a minister be supported at a new church in Foremark. Permission for the demolition of the Ingleby chapel was granted, on the condition that the wood and stone be re-used in the building of the bell-tower and churchyard wall of the new church at Foremark [see SMR 20001]. (1)
Mr C S Greaves writes to Cox  stating that the chapel at Ingleby stood at the corner of a field, bounded by the road through the village on the one side and by the wall of the farmyard nearest to Derby on the other. The course of the walls was plainly indicated by the raised ground where they had stood. 'When the present church [at Foremark - see SMR 20001] was in contemplation, the then Baronet told the inhabitants that if they would like to draw the stone for the church, he would build it wherever they liked; but if they would not, he would build it where he liked. They refused, and accordingly it was built where it is most convenient for the Hall, and most inconvenient for Ingleby'. (2)
'Chapel (site of)' appears here on the 1st edition 25" OS map of c. 1880. A rectangular earthwork is also depicted on the map. (3)
The mounds of the foundations were quite visible [in 1897] on the north side of the lane. (4)
The foundations are still visible [in 1966] although now very low. The eastern end is missing, probably trodden out of existence by cattle. Published survey (25") revised. (5)
Probable earthwork boundary of unknown medieval date identified from good quality aerial photographs as a single linear feature defined by a bank, with a maximum length of 70m. This boundary may form part of an enclosure surrounding the chapel of Ingleby. Centred at:- SK 3509 2693 (Morph No. FR.164.1.1). A second boundary, c. 30m long, lies to the east. Centred at:- SK 3505 2693 (Morph No. FR.164.1.1). (7)
Looking at modern OS mapping , the eastern edge of this site is now occupied by what appears to be a farm building. (8)
Two pieces of carved stone were found near site of Ingleby chapel. One is much worn, having been reused as a doorstop. The other is a shaft of unusual design and may not be pre-Conquest and was found in 1905 in a field wall. Both pieces are now in the porch of Repton Church. (9)
Bibliographic reference: Cox, J C. 1877. Notes on the Churches of Derbyshire, Vol. III. pp 443-5.
Bibliographic reference: Cox, J C. 1879. Notes on the Churches of Derbyshire, Vol IV. p 530.
Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
Article in serial: Ward, J. 1897. Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire Notes and Queries, Derbyshire Advertiser. Volume 5. p 171.
Personal Observation: F1 BHS 23-JUN-66.
Index: RCHME (Royal Commission on the Historic Monuments of England). 1995. New National Forest Project: 943156. 943156. pp 1071-2.
Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). Current Mastermap and 1:10000 series.
Correspondence: Sidebottom, P. 1994. Letter regarding Anglo-Saxon stone monuments in Derbyshire, 15th February, 1994. Letter.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 3509 2689 (56m by 49m) (Centre)
INGLEBY, SOUTH DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jul 7 2015 12:44PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.