A church and a priest are recorded at Barrow in the Domesday Survey. The manor and the church were in the family of Bakepuze from an early date. The present church, which has the unusual dedication of St Wilfrid, contains no remains of any Norman fabric. The earliest work is to be seen in the pillars supporting the three arches that separate the nave from the north aisle, which are of Early English date. The church must have been rebuilt much on its present plan in the early 13th century, with another considerable 'restoration' in the first half of the 14th century. In the Perpendicular period the tower was repaired throughout, and the present upper stage with the belfry windows added. A number of alabaster monuments were recorded in the church in the 18th century; however, in the early 19th century they were destroyed 'either by pounding them into mortar, or casting them aside in portions to repair the parish roads'. (1)
St Wilfrid's Church: A medieval parish church consisting of a nave, aisles, chancel, and west tower, mostly dating from the 13th-15th centuries, although the clerestory and upper parts of the tower were altered in the 19th century. The base of the tower and north aisle windows date from the early 14th century, but the most remarkable feature is the north arcade with (much restored) mid-13th century piers. Octagonal piers. (2-3)
A historic building assessment of the architectural history of the church was carried out in 2013. (4)
From the National Heritage List for England:
'PARISH OF BARROW-UPON-TRENT CHURCH LANE SK 32 NE 4/5 (North Side) 10.11.67 Church of St Wilfrid GV I
Parish church. Mid C13, C14, C15 and early C19. Coursed squared sandstone with sandstone dressings. Lead and plain tile roofs, with coped gables. West tower, aisled nave, south porch and chancel. West tower of two stages divided by a stringcourse. Diagonal buttresses to west and angle buttresses to north and south, with five set-offs. Tall lower stage with chamfered plinth. The west elevation has a doorway with chamfered surround and plank door. 5-light window of c1300 above, with intersecting tracery and a cusped lozenge at the top. Hoodmould. The lower stage is blind to the other elevations. The upper stage has C14 2-light bell openings in each direction, with reticulated tracery. C15 battlements and four stumpy pinnacles. Gabled north aisle has a 13-light west window with intersecting tracery. Angle buttresses and one intermediate buttress. North doorway with moulded surround, hoodmould and plank door. To the left are two 3-light windows with intersecting tracery. 3-light east window with reticulated tracery. The north side of the chancel has a single chamfered priests doorway with hoodmould and plank door with decorative iron hinges. Curious low pointed window to right. C20 brick buttress in the angle with the aisle. The east elevation of the chancel has a shallow gable, thin buttresses and a broad four-centred arched window with chamfered surround, probably C18. The south side of the chancel has a low single chamfered round-arched priests doorway with hoodmould. To the left is a 3-light flat-arched window with cusped ogee lights. Shallow gabled south aisle has a 3-light east window with reticulated tracery. Diagonal buttresses and one intermediate buttress. The south side has two early C19 lancets with chamfered surrounds. Similar west window. Gabled south porch with broad pointed doorway. C20 plank doors. Diagonal buttresses with two set-offs. Round-arched niche above with moulded surround. To the west and east are a pair of small chamfered lancets. Clerestory of three 2-light windows with flat arches and the remains of the traceried arched lights of the C15 clerestory. Interior: Three bay arcades, that to the north mid C13 with compound piers with shafts and shaft rings and moulded capitals. Much restored in the C19. The south arcade is C14 and has octagonal piers and abaci. Both have double chamfered arches. Unmoulded tower arch with an inner chamfered order on corbels. Double chamfered chancel arch, the inner order dying into the imposts. In the south aisle is a round-arched tomb recess with a C14 alabaster effigy of a priest. Moulded hoodmould. to the left, a trefoil-headed recessed panel with moulded surround and traces of painting. Squints from the aisles into the chancel that to the north forms a passageway from the aisle to the chancel and is lit by its own window. Plain octagonal font. Monuments: Tablet to Elizabeth Milward +1610 (north aisle). Plain tablet to John Bancroft +1803 (north aisle) by W Barton of Derby. Elizabeth Mozeley +1883 (nave) by R C Lomas of Derby. Richard Sale +1808 (nave) by Hall of Derby. Much damaged tomb chest with incised slab. C19 alabaster pulpit. Open backed C19 pews. Painted lozenge hatchment.
Listing NGR: SK3529428388.'