Swarkestone church, dedicated to St. James, was rebuilt in 1876, except the possibly 15th century tower and the Marpur chapel, probably dating from 1573. (1)
St James' Church consists of chancel, with side chapels, nave, north aisle, and an embattled west tower with pinnacles. Only the tower and Harpur chapel are ancient, with the rest of the edifice having been rebuilt in 1876. There are three bells in the tower, and the oldest bears the date of 1688. Under the tower is an ancient font, and several carved stones that were found in the recent rebuilding. Evidently portions of the early Norman church have been rebuilt in the walls. There are three memorial windows and several ancient monuments in the church. (2)
The church was in normal use in 1966. (3)
St James' Church was restored in 1874-6 by F J Robinson and all that remains of earlier work is the Harpur Chapel, with monuments, and the medieval, four-stage west tower. (4-5)
St James' Church was much restored by F J Robinson in 1874-6 as a consequence of some badly carried out alterations in 1828. The original church had Norman elements, but not much of the older church remains, save for the tower and the Harpur chapel, which contains 15th, 16th and 17th century effigies of the Harpur and Rolleston families. (6)
A grade II* listed parish church that dates 12th and 16th century, but was mostly rebuilt in 1874-5 by F J Robinson. It is built of ashlar and rubble stone with quoins, a chamfered stone plinth and a continuous moulded sill band. It has red plain tile roofs with crested ridge tiles, lapped stone copings and an eastern ridge cross. The chapel roof is leaded. It comprises nave with north aisle, western tower and lower chancel with north organ bay and southern chapel. The 16th century two-stage tower has stepped angle buttresses up to the bell stage on the western corners. See list decryption for more details. (7)
Bibliographic reference: Cox, J C. 1877. Notes on the Churches of Derbyshire, Vol. II. pp 495-7.
Bibliographic reference: Bulmer, T and Co.. 1895. History, Topography and Directory of Derbyshire. p 828.
Bibliographic reference: F1 BHS 27-JUN-66.
Bibliographic reference: DOE (HHR) S E Derby RD Dec 1960 32.
Bibliographic reference: Pevsner, N. 1979. The Buildings of England: Derbyshire. 2nd ed., revised. p337.
Bibliographic reference: I A H Combes. 2004. Anglican Churches of Derbyshire. p 169.
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 3719 2859 (25m by 14m) (Centre)
SWARKESTONE, SOUTH DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jan 3 2018 3:42PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.