Monument record MDR4407 - Mound, Knowle Hill, Ticknall
Type and Period (2)
- None recorded
A solitary mound on a rising bank about half a mile to the east of Heath Wood, close to Seven Spouts Farm, was identified in 1941. It was considered to be a barrow, but whether an 'outlier' of the main barrow cemetery in Heath Wood [SMR 21706] or "whether its provenance must be referred to some other epoch" was not known. (1) SK 35122565: A mound 40ft in diameter and 2ft high was recorded north-east of Seven Spouts Farm. It is probably connected with the Heath Wood cemetery. (2) Nothing is visible at the above grid reference, which may have been derived from calculating a point half a mile to the east of Heath Wood. However, a circular earthwork is depicted on the 1st and 2nd ed. 25" OS maps at SK34972505, closer to Seven Spouts Farm and at roughly the same distance from Heath Wood, albeit to the south-east. (3, 4) A site visit on May 25 2010 confirmed the survival of this feature, which from its appearance could indeed be a barrow. (5)
- <1> SDR7579 Article in serial: Fraser, W. 1941. 'Location of the alleged Anglian cemetery at Foremark', Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Volume 62, pp 19-21. p 21.
- <2> SDR8643 Bibliographic reference: Marsden, B. 1977. The Burial Mounds of Derbyshire. p96.
- <3> SDR18789 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
- <4> SDR18790 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1896-1900. OS County Series, 2nd edition (1st revision), scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
- <5> SDR19557 Personal Observation: Stroud, G. Personal observation, map evidence, field visit etc.. Site visit, May 25 2010.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 3497 2550 (33m by 31m) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||TICKNALL, SOUTH DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jan 16 2015 12:08PM