St. Peter's Church, Hartshorne, consists of a nave, chancel, north aisle and tower at the west end of the aisle. The nave was entirely rebuilt in 1835, and other alterations made. A sketch of the church from the south just before the alterations shows that all the windows on the south side were square-headed except a lancet window to the chancel. The tower once had arches both in the east and south walls, communicating with the church, but these are now built up. (1)
In normal use. (3)
The Church of St Peter is a Grade II listed parish church with a 15th century tower, a nave of 1835-6 by H Stevens of Derby, and a mid Victorian chancel and north aisle. (4)
A bell in St Peter's is of historical significance. Dating from circa 1580, the bell was made by H Dand of Nottingham. (5)
Bibliographic reference: Cox, J C. 1877. Notes on the Churches of Derbyshire, Vol. III. pp 379-384.
Personal Observation: F1 JB 25-JUL-66.
Bibliographic reference: Department of the Environment. 1987. DOE Listed Buildings, District of South Derbyshire.
Unpublished document: Church of England. 2007. Identification of bells and bell frames of historic significance.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 3272 2083 (27m by 22m) (Centre)
HARTSHORNE, SOUTH DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jun 2 2015 10:15AM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.