[SK 3516 2405] Church [G.T.] (Rems of) (1)
The earliest mention of a chapel at Ticknall is in a charter of c. 1200 when the sixth Earl of Chester refers to the courtyard and enclosure of the chapel of St Thomas. The chapel was confirmed as belonging to the parish church of St Wystan at Repton in 1271 and again in 1279. In 1650 it was described as 'Ticknall formerly a chapell and a member of Repton of late distinct of itself'. In 1692 the church was 'presented' for being considerably out of repair. It underwent considerable repairs in 1755 when the three aisles were newly roofed and leaded and a new porch built. By the early 19th century the church was much out of repair and it was decided at a vestry meeting held June 3rd 1841 to build a new church to the north of the old one. The contractor to whom the old material was sold found the walls, and especially the tower, so much more substantial than was anticipated, that he had to actually blow up the church with gunpowder. Two fragments of the old fabric still stand in the churchyard, where they form picturesque ivy-clad ruins. One is the east end of the north aisle and the other the south-east angle of the tower; they are both of 14th century date. From various drawings, paintings and descriptions of the old church it is possible to form an idea of its size, character and comparative antiquity. [Cox provides the measurements of the nave, south aisle, chancel and north aisle]. In the north wall was an Early English lancet window, and also a buttress and other features of the 13th century; but the church had evidently been entirely rebuilt in the beginning of the 14th century in the Decorated style. To this period too belonged the embattled tower and the octagonal spire. The walls of the nave were raised in the 15th century. Some architectural fragments are in the vicarage garden. (2)
The two fragments are of a southwest angle, and an east window, probably of the chancel. Published survey (25") correct. See GP's A0 66/26/4 - west fragment. /5 - east fragment. (3)
St. Thomas a Becket chapel, Ticknall, which become a parish church in 1650 was demolished in 1841 and some of the material was used in the construction of the nearby St. George's Church. The surviving remains of this chapel comprise an ivy-clad part of a 14th century tower and east window, although an earlier chapel mentioned in 1271 is reported to have been on the same site. (4-5)
Ruins of old parish church, east part (formerly listed as one item with item 4/82). Fragment of old parish church c45 yards south of the chancel of the new church. c1300. This church was blown up c1840 when the new church was built to the north. Grade II. (6)
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 3515 2404 (28m by 19m) (Centre)
TICKNALL, SOUTH DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Mar 9 2015 2:02PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.