Site record MDR444 - Site of Garrison Bleach Works, Sycamore Road, New Mills
Type and Period (3)
- BLEACHERY (Georgian to Victorian - 1800 AD to 1880 AD)
- CALICO PRINTING WORKS (Georgian to Victorian - 1800 AD? to 1880 AD?)
- BLEACH WORKS (Georgian to Late 20th Century - 1800 AD? to 1999 AD?)
- None recorded
Former site of Garrison Bleach Works, Sycamore Road, New Mills, established c1800. The original mill buildings were constructed c1800 as a calico printing works, but by the time the 1st edition 25" OS map of c1880 was produced, it was 'Garrison Bleach Works.' The site was extended over time, but by the time Google imagery (air photos) dating to 1999 were taken, the original mill buildings had been demolished. (1) The works began printing c1800 but a string of enterprises experienced failure, possibly because the works buildings were scattered and in a remote location. (2) Extensive factory complex on site appears to incorporate a small section of a former bleach works. Now used by an electronics firm (1984). (3) An air raid shelter is reported to be situated somewhere on site. Presumably for use by the factory works considering its proximity to the works. (4)
- <1> SDR24324 Unpublished document: Grange, E (ARS Ltd). 2017. Garrison Works (Unit B), Thornsett Trading Estate, Birch Vale, Derbyshire: Heritage Impact Assessment.
- <2> SDR19533 Monograph: Derbyshire County Council. 1983. A Short History of Calico Printing in the Sett Valley.
- <3> SDR4751 Bibliographic reference: Fowkes, D. 1984. Derbyshire Industrial Archaeology - A Gazetteer of Sites. Part I. Borough of High Peak. 29.
- <4> SDR23534 Photograph: Photographs of air raid shelter at Thornsett.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 0137 8689 (251m by 138m)|
|Civil Parish||NEW MILLS, HIGH PEAK, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Mar 3 2020 1:20PM