[SK 34973632] St Werburgh's Church (1)
This church was rebuilt in 1894 except for the tower which was built in 1601. (2-3)
Founded in the 7th century. Currently in normal use. (4)
The 15th century tower collapsed and was rebuilt 1601. The church itself was rebuilt in 1699, but only the chancel remains, the rest having being rebuilt again in 1893-4. (5)
The Church of St Werburgh is II* listed for the following principal reasons: The tower is a rare example of Gothic-survival architecture, from a period when there was comparatively little new church building. It has a well-preserved late 17th century chancel in the classical style. Blomfield's church is a confident Gothic-Revival design, especially notable for its bold exterior. The fittings of special note include a reredos of 1708, wrought-iron font cover of 1716 by Robert Bakewell, and high-quality 19th century choir stalls, there is an iron screen and pulpit in the old chancel, and reredos in the 1894 chancel. An early 18th century gate screen is attached to the north wall of the church. For a full description of the church please see listing record on NHLE website. (6)
Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England. List entry number 1287685.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 3497 3633 (39m by 46m)
DERBY, DERBY, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (3)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Mar 15 2018 12:41PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.