Listed Building record MDR4465 - St Edmund's Church, Allestree, Derby
Type and Period (1)
- ANGLICAN CHURCH (Medieval to 21st Century - 1066 AD to 2050 AD)
The church is of 1865-6 (by Stevens & Robinson of Derby) but has a good broad Norman south doorway, partly renewed. The west tower is the other old feature, 13th century, with broad buttresses only at the foot, a treble-chamfered tower arch into the nave, two-light cusped bell-openings, and a 19th century stair-turret. (1) In normal use. (2) St Edmund's Church, of medieval origin but rebuilt in 1866 by F J Robinson of Derby, retains a 12th century south doorway and a 14th century west tower. Grade B. (3) St Edmund's Church is a Parish church of the 12th or 13th century, rebuilt in 1865-66 by Stevens & Robinson. It is built from coursed local gritstone with tooled dressings to the 19th century fabric, a timber-framed porch and graded slate roofs. It is mainly in a Decorated style with butteresses, corbel tables and coped gables. The existing tower was built in the 13th to 15th centuries, with remodelling and a stair turret added in the 19th century. The principal fixtures include a 19th century font of Norman influence which is polished marble with a square bowl on corner shafts and a central round stem. The pulpit in the north aisle is plain panelled and built c. 1962. There is a wrought-iron chancel screen dating from the late 19th or early 20th century with a central gable. The pews have plain square ends and the choir stalls are dated 1932. There are several 18th and 19th century wall tablets and several late 19th and 20th century stained-glass windows, including the Angel of the Resurrection in the chancel east window (1890) and patterned coloured and etched glass in the south aisle. Further description can be found on the NHLE website. (4) Norman church tower still extant at Allestree, Derby. (5) One tower bell is of histroical significance, as it is a good example of the work of the found, G Hedderly of Nottingham. (6)
- <1> SDR11734 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1914. O.S. 25" 1914.
- <2> SDR12891 Bibliographic reference: Pevsner, N. 1979. The Buildings of England: Derbyshire. 2nd ed., revised.
- <3> SDR6327 Personal Observation: F1 FRH 24-OCT-66.
- <4> SDR19551 Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England. List entry number 1228939.
- <5> SDR23391 Photograph: Derbyshire Archaeological Society. Allestree Norman church tower.
- <6> SDR23468 Unpublished document: Church of England. 2007. Identification of bells and bell frames of historic significance.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 3479 3971 (28m by 24m) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||DERBY, DERBY, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jun 14 2021 7:32AM