Monument record MDR4466 - Roman site, Strutts Park, Derby
Type and Period (2)
- Area of Archaeological Interest: Little Chester, Derby Area of Archaeological Interest
- World Heritage Site Buffer Zone
Finds of early Roman coins including several of Claudius were made in Strutt's Park in 1922-3 when digging foundations for the new estate. This led Webster to suggest a possible Roman Fort site. Traces of buildings under the lawn at No. 49, Belper Road were found by Mrs Smith Gavin in 1944. (3) A dupondius of Nero from Belper Road is in Derby Museum, and a Republican denarius from a garden in Strutt's Park also. (1-5) No further evidence has been found in the past 18 years by the owner of 49, Belper Road, (SK 3491 3721) and no further finds have come from the area generally. (6)
- <1> SDR16230 Article in serial: Webster, G. 1961. 'An excavation on the Roman site at Little Chester, Derby, 1960', Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Volume 81, pp 85-110. p 108.
- <2> SDR7348 Article in serial: Knight, A. 1927. 'Roman coins from Little Chester', Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Volume 49, pp 353-363. pp 353-5.
- <3> SDR7959 Article in serial: J.R.S. 35,1945.
- <4> SDR5686 Article in serial: E. Mid. Bull. 1960,2..
- <5> SDR7344 Article in serial: Ib 1962, 6 (Derby Museum) EMAB?.
- <6> SDR6327 Personal Observation: F1 FRH 24-OCT-66.
- <7> SDR15703 Index: Trent and Peak Archaeol T 2601.
|Grid reference||SK 349 372 (point) Centre|
|Civil Parish||DERBY, DERBY, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Aug 23 2022 6:02PM